Creating the Lead Sound from the song 'Virus'

BTMM

Born To Make Music
Hi guys,

I'm looking to figure out how to 'stretch' the last parts of my leads like in Martin Garrix's song Virus (Example below).

Do I need a MIDI with a Pitch Bend wheel or is he using Sylenth plugin?

Not sure . . .

Just so you know, it starts at 5, 9, 13 and 16 seconds (And it keeps going in and out at the appropriate part of the songs).

Hope this helps. Thanks!

Last edited by a moderator:
so that is pitch wheel action so you will need to be able to control pitch bend somehow

as for the sound it seems to be a filtered and modulated detuned pair of saws - I'll leave it to others to de-construct for you

Thanks for your reply

so that is pitch wheel action so you will need to be able to control pitch bend somehow

as for the sound it seems to be a filtered and modulated detuned pair of saws - I'll leave it to others to de-construct for you

Hi There,

Thanks a lot for your reply.

Yeah it sounded like the some pitch bending was involved.

I'll see if I can reproduce this on Logic Pro X without any additional hardware.

Cheers!

I love this song so much. I can definitely tell you it all has to do with portmanteau sliding the notes from one to another. Both these artists frequently use it on their songs a lot, especially Martin's "wizard"

Thx for the reply but what's 'portmanteau' ? Sorry still learning :)

It's an effect on most synthesizer plugins. Basically it makes it so that each note that is played over another note will slide from one to the other.

I know that you could make the sound in sylenth, select both the mono legato button, and make sure the little knob is on the letter N (in the bottom right corner) and set the time to around 5. This will create the sliding effect that is used, as long as you keep the notes overlapping in MIDI. Add some delay and reverb and make the wave form a saw wave with detune and the sound should be fairly close to that in the song.

I'm not really sure about logic UI or stock plugins, I'm assuming you could automate the pitch of the sound (try right clicking on something that says pitch and see if there is an automate option), which would be a little more complicated but still achieve the same effect.

It's an effect on most synthesizer plugins. Basically it makes it so that each note that is played over another note will slide from one to the other.

I know that you could make the sound in sylenth, select both the mono legato button, and make sure the little knob is on the letter N (in the bottom right corner) and set the time to around 5. This will create the sliding effect that is used, as long as you keep the notes overlapping in MIDI. Add some delay and reverb and make the wave form a saw wave with detune and the sound should be fairly close to that in the song.

I'm not really sure about logic UI or stock plugins, I'm assuming you could automate the pitch of the sound (try right clicking on something that says pitch and see if there is an automate option), which would be a little more complicated but still achieve the same effect.

And Martin uses Sylenth1 too, which has a great slide. Just play around with the times etc. Sliding the notes was very common in Chicago-house like type stuff too.

Thx for the tips guys - I just recreated this sound with Massive (modulation) and pitch bending on Logic. It was like having an orgasm. It's pretty close to it but I'm sure some tweaking will get it. Thx again :)

Thx for the tips guys - I just recreated this sound with Massive (modulation) and pitch bending on Logic. It was like having an orgasm. It's pretty close to it but I'm sure some tweaking will get it. Thx again :)

Bahahaha. You must really want this lead sound haha

Yeah man totally :) - I am saving up for Sylenth but not until I finish this course I'm taking on Massive. Step by Step. Cheers!

Actually the current term for this sound is called 'glide'. There are a few more terms but 'glide' is what it's called on most Synths. Ha! :) @exico What you wrote back then actually makes sense to me now (Detune, etc). Thx!

Back