Creating a bollywood drum beats

anoopbal

Hi everyone,

I mainly sing and mix, but I am starting to learn how to make beats because most of the premix are not good. I have watched a few videos, still need help

My question is how do I make this drum beat. I know how to add beats to the midi and such. I have ableton. i can hear the kick drum coming in at the 4th beat, but can't figure out the others.

Last edited:
Caveat-- Listening very quietly on iPhone (without headphones, just the dinky speaker); wife is sleeping next to me, so I can't turn it up...

Basic 8th note hi-hats, bass drum on 1 & 3, rim-click sound for backbeat on 2 & 4 until snare comes in. I can't make out exactly what the 16th-note riff on percussion is, or what it is exactly (pakhavaj, mridangam; it actually sounds a lot more like a darabuka or other Arabic drum), but the major accent is on the "and" of 2 & 4 (?)... "One, two _and_ three, four _and_," and so on.

Not too difficult; I was expecting some monster Zakir Hussein action, lol. Also, I think your link is broken, but I was able to find the track (hope it's the right one!)...

GJ

Last edited:
Caveat-- Listening very quietly on iPhone (without headphones, just the dinky speaker); wife is sleeping next to me, so I can't turn it up...

Basic 8th note hi-hats, bass drum on 1 & 3, rim-click sound for backbeat on 2 & 4 until snare comes in. I can't make out exactly what the 16th-note riff on percussion is, or what it is exactly (pakhavaj, mridangam; it actually sounds a lot more like a darabuka or other Arabic drum), but the major accent is on the "and" of 2 & 4 (?)... "One, two _and_ three, four _and_," and so on.

Not too difficult; I was expecting some monster Zakir Hussein action, lol. Also, I think your link is broken, but I was able to find the track (hope it's the right one!)...

GJ

Thank you!

This is what I came up with. Is this what you were thinking?
beats 1.png

Mmm, not so much. Why are the rim clicks and snares layered? Where are the hh's?
Are you going for the darabuka sound, or where you going to leave that out?

GJ

Mmm, not so much. Why are the rim clicks and snares layered? Where are the hh's?
Are you going for the darabuka sound, or where you going to leave that out?

GJ

I am sorry. I am still learning all this.

I didn't understand what you meant by 'rim clicks at 2 & 4, until snares come in'.

I just want to get it closer to what the original. I am trying to sing that song, but the premix that I have has a different beat count.

From your name, I am guessing you have some east indian roots. Thanks again.

Ah, no, but thanks!

OK, let me try this... When you hear a very basic "boom-bap beat," the "boom" is on beat one, the "bap" is on beat two (usually snare drum, right?)... Then the next "boom" is on beat three, and the next "bap" is on beat four (in other words-- "boom, bap, boom, bap" is really counted "1,2,3,4"). The in-between notes (like on the hi-hats) would be called "ands;" in other words, "1 and 2 and 3 and 4 and" and so on and so forth. Usually written for simplicity as "1 & 2 & 3 & 4 &." So now you make _that_, only make the 2 & 4 (the "baps") rim-click instead of snare. Then, put a convincing percussive sound with an accent on the "and" just after beat 2 and the "and" just after beat 4. That will be a lot closer. Then just match the tempos (the speed of the beat to what you hear in the song).

Does that make more sense?

GJ

what gj wrote put into a grid so that you can see the idea as well

1&2&3&4&
HatsXXXXXXXX
Other percussionXX
SnareXX
KickXX

Last edited:
Back