Confusing Mixing Decisions

M

mkamsi

Hey !
I am working on a project of about 40-45 tracks, I set the initial levels, but when it comes to mixing , I find it really hard to get the high quality mix out of this project. Lot of mixing decisions usually confused me, like "should I use a compressor on it?" "if yes then which one , API or CLA or SSL" etc. etc.
Do any of you is facing or has faced a similar problem when you think now I am producing the music just like the wayI want, but Now I have to learn a lot about mixing ?
Any help regarding mixing would be helpful (Any video link would add a cherry on the cake)
Thanks in advance :)

only answer to each question is "suck it and see"

each mix brings its own challenges and problems with it so a solution that works for yesterdays mix may not fit tomorrows mix

was at a seminar given by Dave Aron last night: in this he said his go to compressor is the CLA2 and most times he just goes with the factory default setting - showed us exactly what he meant with a couple of snoop dogg tracks (studio one and a live one from August 2013) and a kurupt track that he did the beat for and produced

in addition he used the waves C4 a lot as a vocal riding de-esser/brightener of all things (cool trick really) - he would chain both compressors and then eq using the waves ssl channel strip on most of his vocal tracks -> CLA2 -> C4 -> SSLEQ, used similar ideas for kicks and snares and guitars

maybe search out the few Dave Aron vids on mixing rap/hip-hop/rnb

Last edited:
It's like asking a doctor how to operate or asking an engineer how to build a building
spend 1000 hours on mixing and experimenting with your music, trust me , after your first 1000 hours of mixing, you would understand why no your question couldn't have been answered

It's like asking a doctor how to operate or asking an engineer how to build a building
spend 1000 hours on mixing and experimenting with your music, trust me , after your first 1000 hours of mixing, you would understand why no your question couldn't have been answered
Yeah I Know, this question can not be answer, the reason why I put it here, is because I wanna have some input just like Bandcoach bro

only answer to each question is "suck it and see"

each mix brings its own challenges and problems with it so a solution that works for yesterdays mix may not fit tomorrows mix

was at a seminar given by Dave Aron last night: in this he said his go to compressor is the CLA2 and most times he just goes with the factory default setting - showed us exactly what he meant with a couple of snoop dogg tracks (studio one and a live one from August 2013) and a kurupt track that he did the beat for and produced

in addition he used the waves C4 a lot as a vocal riding de-esser/brightener of all things (cool trick really) - he would chain both compressors and then eq using the ssl eq on most of his vocal tracks -> CLA2 -> C4 -> SSLEQ, used similar ideas for kicks and snares and guitars

maybe search out the few Dave Aron vids on mixing rap/hip-hop/rnb

Thanx a lot bro :)

You're overthinking it.
Pick a compressor, learn how to use it and stick with it for a while, then once you've got a good grasp on things you can start experimenting with different techniques and emulation-compressors etc.
Same goes for mixing overall. Keep it simple in the beginning and learn how to use it and get a good habit with the different tools, that way you'll understand better what mixing is about, rather than if you throw a bunch of techniques and different plugins in your head - that would only make it duller for you.

You're overthinking it.
Pick a compressor, learn how to use it and stick with it for a while, then once you've got a good grasp on things you can start experimenting with different techniques and emulation-compressors etc.
Same goes for mixing overall. Keep it simple in the beginning and learn how to use it and get a good habit with the different tools, that way you'll understand better what mixing is about, rather than if you throw a bunch of techniques and different plugins in your head - that would only make it duller for you.

I appreciate your help bro. thanx bro :)

Back