Thread: condenser mic upside-down

2nice is offline Registered User

condenser mic upside-down

Sign in to disable this ad
    so i got a condenser mic (akg c4000b) last summer, with the protools mbox as a preamp and recording interface. it came with a shockmount and windscreen (don't use the windscreen though), i got a stand for it, and i got a pop filter.

so when i set all this up my homie tells me to turn the mic upside-down. i think back to all the times i've seen videos or tv episodes that show pros in the studio, and yea they have their mics upside-down. so i decide, yea, i'll turn my own mic upside-down. its worked fine and i have no complaints.

but i'm just really curious about this.... why should it be turned upside-down???

CubaseRox is offline Status: Producer Mode
    Originally posted by 2nice
    ....so when i set all this up my homie tells me to turn the mic upside-down. i think back to all the times i've seen videos or tv episodes that show pros in the studio, and yea they have their mics upside-down. so i decide, yea, i'll turn my own mic upside-down. its worked fine and i have no complaints.

but i'm just really curious about this.... why should it be turned upside-down???
    I dont think that makes a difference when it is upside down (at least not that I know of). I think you see it that way in videos is for show. It does look better when it is upside down. I have mine standing right side up. But I have taken photos with it upside down.

I dont think it makes a sonic difference at all. (I could be wrong, but I doubt it).

You could leave yours upside down if you like. But I doubt it will change the sonics of the mic.

Hope this helps.
    I dont read long posts....

Please Check Out The Links!
    my sound click page
    mikey cat sound click page

krushing is offline Moderator
    There's a point to it - having the mic upside down will reduce the amount of puffin'n'huffin' coming out of your nostrils. So it's not 'just for show'.

Giganova is offline gimmi your mic!
    There's five reaons to put a mic upside down:

1) Historically, most great condensors were tube condensors. To make sure that the heat rising from the tube doesn't flow by the capsule and warp it, people put it upside down.

2) If you hang a mic a bit higher, the vocalist has to hold its head up, which will open the throat and the vocals will be more open and clear.

3) If the capsule of the mic is at the height of the nose, the air stream coming from the mouth will not directly hit the capsule, which supresses plosive noises.

4) mics are less obstructive when they hang down (no cables, no mic stand direcly in front of the vocalist) and the vocalis has better vision (to the lyrics sheet and the producer inside the control room)

5) it looks cooler

Originally posted by krushing
    There's a point to it - having the mic upside down will reduce the amount of puffin'n'huffin' coming out of your nostrils. So it's not 'just for show'.
    I think your nostrils will still huff & puff into it regardless which way it is turned. Even if its turned sideways.

Originally posted by Giganova
    1) Historically, most great condensors were tube condensors. To make sure that the heat rising from the tube doesn't flow by the capsule and warp it, people put it upside down.
    I could buy this reason, that seems logical enough. I guess it does have a purpose and might be better to hang it upside down.

2) If you hang a mic a bit higher, the vocalist has to hold its head up, which will open the throat and the vocals will be more open and clear.
    You can raise the mic slightly higher while its right side up and it causes the same effect. RE: the vocalist has to hold its head up, which will open the throat and the vocals will be more open and clear.

That is how I position the mic all the time.

4) mics are less obstructive when they hang down (no cables, no mic stand direcly in front of the vocalist) and the vocalis has better vision (to the lyrics sheet and the producer inside the control room)
    You can achieve no obstructions with a "boom arm" stand. How would you get better vision? Its still in front of you and is only turned upside down, not invisible.

my sound click page

StoneTone is offline Insane FP Patriot
    giganova is correct....i keep mine upside down
    [url=http://www.soundclick.com/bands/0/getstonetonemusic.htm]*******ENTER 360 HERE*******[/url]

Degree is offline Registered User
    One reason only: Tits.

krushing is offline Moderator
    Originally posted by CubaseRox

I think your nostrils will still huff & puff into it regardless which way it is turned. Even if its turned sideways.
    Yep. That's why I said reduce not eliminate. It does help a bit

Xabiton is offline Belly Flop King
    Originally posted by Giganova
    There's five reaons to put a mic upside down:

3) If the capsule of the mic is at the height of the nose, the air stream coming from the mouth will not directly hit the capsule, which supresses plosive noises.

5) it looks cooler
    great answer

Originally posted by krushing
    Yep. That's why I said reduce not eliminate. It does help a bit
    You might be right, I would have to try it one day and see for myself.

my sound click page

Thread Information