Completely new to all of this.

Recommend the following sites which have good checklists of what to get based your needs and experience:

Recording Studio Equipment List: The Essential 33 Items
The Home Studio Handbook | Free Catalog | Disc Makers

It really depends on what you're trying to accomplish and your budget. I'm a retired piano bar guy, now a studio musician and make tracks/albums at home. My primary instrument is a Roland RD-700NX Stage Piano. I use Reaper DAW which is excellent for the price ($60 every couple of years) and stays really up to date. Beyond the great set of plug-ins that come with Reaper, I also use EZDrummer 2 to build rhythm tracks (along with sounds from the 23 Rhythm Sets (drum kits) that are in the RD-700NX), and for vocal shaping I have the Izotope Nectar 2 VST. I have an old Boss JS-5 Jamstation drum machine that provides the occasional quick drum solution, but mostly do my drum tracking in Reaper with samples. I've collected over 30,000 drum loops (mostly free) in the past few years and often find a "starter beat" in that pile. I use a Roland Tri-Capture USB interface with my laptop (Dell Inspiron 17R with 16Gb RAM and a 1Tb HD), and the following other gear: Mackie Mix12FX mixer, Hosa SLW-333 Audio Switcher, a pair of Yamaha HS-8 reference monitors, Roland MA-8 stereo micro monitors. I use a Shure SM-58 dynamic microphone for performance and an MXL-770 condenser mic for recording vocals in my studio. I've done some acoustic treatment in my studio along with throw rugs and blankets/quilts to eliminate echo and stray noise when I'm recording acoustically. I also have an ARF-68 Reflection Filter on my mic stand which provides good general isolation for the MXL-770. My headphones are Shure SRH440's which get me to a good starting mix, then I use the reference monitors to get to the mixing/mastering finish line. You can stream my latest album of cover songs at Fair Winds — CaVernJo .
Hope this helps... Good luck!

Back