Chopping samples

Wilby89

Hi just got myself a AKAI MPD26 using FL Studio and im kinda new to chopping sample and i just wanted a few tips on chopping this is my process but i dont really seem to be getting a result
1 Loop the sample in Edison
2 Take the loop and set markers on every kick and snare in Edison
3 Load the markers in fruity slicer and save in sliced beats
4 Load the choped samples in FPC and get crackin

I just want a few tips on why im not getting a end result i think im doing everything correctly any info would be much appreciated.

when i was using FL. i would load the sample into edison. then drag the red line over the 1st chop, drag to 1st pad of FPC. then drag the start of the red box over the end and select the next chop, then drag that to FPc... etc

bit of a bad explanation. but saves adding all markers and stuff. just chop, drag, drop

I used to just drag it directly into the playlist, and chop there. Then if I wanted to trigger them in the FPC or something I would make each part Unique and drag them into the FPC. The reason I liked using the playlist is because I could blatantly see my Automation.

Last edited by a moderator:
when i was using FL. i would load the sample into edison. then drag the red line over the 1st chop, drag to 1st pad of FPC. then drag the start of the red box over the end and select the next chop, then drag that to FPc... etc

bit of a bad explanation. but saves adding all markers and stuff. just chop, drag, drop

yeah that makes it so much faster...

you could also use the fruity slicer. drag your chops into the slicer track, u can trigger the chops right from the fruity slicer. I use both the fpc and slicedr, it depends on what i feel like using.

---------- Post added at 03:04 PM ---------- Previous post was at 03:03 PM ----------

I used to just drag it directly into the playlist, and chop there. Then if I wanted to trigger them in the FPC or something I would make each part Unique and drag them into the FPC. The reason I liked using the playlist is because I could blatantly see my Automation.

what do u mean by chopping in the playlist? i had no idea u could do that, u mind explaing?

yeah that makes it so much faster...

you could also use the fruity slicer. drag your chops into the slicer track, u can trigger the chops right from the fruity slicer. I use both the fpc and slicedr, it depends on what i feel like using.

---------- Post added at 03:04 PM ---------- Previous post was at 03:03 PM ----------

what do u mean by chopping in the playlist? i had no idea u could do that, u mind explaing?

You can drag audio files into the Playlist (Bare in mind last time I used FL was FL 6 through to 8, so unsure if it's changed in 9.

From there you can use the slice tool to slice it up, I find stretching easier as well as you can actually see the wave form. Then you chop where you want arrange where you want, and if you want to hit keys to trigger them you just pull each slice to the FPC.

Last edited by a moderator:
Back