Chop up sample techniques?

peshti

So I started out not so long ago. Started loop Samples then i started to chop and ive become confident when it comes to chopping. However what are your techniques for chopping? For example IF you have a 1 bar loop do you make 4 slices etc? Do u do 16 for 4 bars etc?

There is no right or wrong method.

I chop by ear and place by ear. Everything I do is by ear and instinct.

I don't have any rules on how much I'll chop. It's totally inconsistent. I think if you set rules on how you must chop evenly or in a certain fashion you are restricting your creativity.

Go with your gut.

Last edited:
I really like the slicing of the Fruity slicer in FL studio. I usually select medium auto slicing. THe auto slicing chops the sample up in sound shots, instead of looking at bars

Everyone is going to tell you to use your ear and do what sounds good. What I have noticed from watching ALOT of producers sample is they often find the bpm of the track first and then chop on the kicks and then filter out the low end.

Here is a playlist for sampling, I go over ALOT from mixing trap with soul samples to 90's style boom bap to finding the tempo of any sample to changing the tempo of a sample to fit your track....a little bit of everything bro.

[video]https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLB9bihX0jo5veeleg4072xyot0ax0ksUa[/video]

hmu if you have any questions

Last edited:
Knowing the tempo of the sample is important (IMO). Especially when you want to work with bigger sized chops. If you work with smaller chuncks it won't matter as much.

I personally chop however I feel like at the moment. Sometimes I chop exact phrases of the sample (a chord, a vocal part/word, a specific note) other times I chop in smaller 1/8 pieces so I can go crazier. It will depend on what you can get out of the sample and how busy it is really.

Do you have any tracks to share? I'm curious to hear what you have made so far.

So I started out not so long ago. Started loop Samples then i started to chop and ive become confident when it comes to chopping. However what are your techniques for chopping? For example IF you have a 1 bar loop do you make 4 slices etc? Do u do 16 for 4 bars etc?

I alway timestretch the (truncated) loop before I start chopping it.

Number of slices depends utterly upon the sample - a 1-bar drum break might get sliced into 16 - 2-bars of horns might get chopped into 4 phrases or 8.

Depends on the sample.

Yeah I've realized that too through trial and error. It really depends on the sample.

I gotta ask, do you know if theres any snap to zero crossing in maschine except in detect mode?

This is why I slice in fl and then take in maschine but I like to have everything in piano, doing it in fl and then take into maschine makes everything split into different sound except in just like one piano. Like when you slice it in maschine. I hope im making a little bit of sense.

Not sure - I don't think so.

I just zoom right in on the waveform using the 5th knob TBH - I find sampling and slicing on Maschine really quick.

Back