Choosing the right speakers or monitors

beethoven77

Hello guys.
I am basically an audio newbie who is looking to get an entry level studio monitors for some multimedia content creation (music production and video editing as a hobby) and also daily use (listening to music, watching movies). So the speakers would not require to be highly professional.

I have done some research and came up with the following list of speakers:

Alesis Elevate 5 - $299
Behringer MS40 - $329
Presonus Eris e4.5 - $369
KRK Rokit RP5G3 (pair) - $599
JBL LSR305 (pair) - $719
Yamaha HS5 (pair) - $729

These are the prices in my location. Unfortunately, my budget is limited and I would not want to spend more than this.
Which pair would be best suitable for a beginner who wants a reasonable pair of monitors?
It would be deeply appreciated if you could help me out.
Thank you very much.

P.S. I went to the local shop and had a listen to the KRK Rokit 6 G3s and 8 inch Mackie monitors (can't remember the name). I am a newbie but the rokits seemed to have a bit mellow, closed (?), muddy sound in them. Maybe it's because I am a newbie but I preferred the sound of the Mackies which sounded clearer to me. I really want to try out the JBLs, Yamahas, and the lower ends like the Alesis and Presonus from the list above too but my local stores don't seem to have them, only the online shops have them sadly. It would be deeply appreciated if you guys can share your opinions and help me out! Thanks.

Last edited:
Where are you at? Because those prices are really high. The Yamahas & the JBLs are probably the best regarded out of this bunch.

man I feel so bad when I think that all I have is some In-Ear headphones cause my studio headphones died 2 days ago xD Seems sooner or later I have to get some speakers as well :P
I am not a fan of buying things in local stors if it´s something expensive (there are a lot of people that would like to punch my face for that comment I know xD) because you can get things online way cheaper, local stores are good to try things out and actually test things before you buy them (and another punch in my face) but since they order these items in a lower quantity and don´t sell thousands of items per day, they have to increase the price :P

But I know a store here in germany that isn´t that big but always uses the price that´s in the most known german online store, thomann, don´t know if you have a store like that as well at your location

Last edited:
Thank you for your replies. I am in New Zealand and the online prices are not too different from the local stores, around 10 dollars difference mostly. It's quite expensive to ship it from the sites like amazon so yea not much can be done here.

Back to monitors, what about the presonus eris e4.5 or the alesis elevate 5 ? I read some positive reviews about them and I am curious if they should be considered as well.

I've got the HS-7's but tried the HS-5's in store... They lack bass extension. Really lack...

The JBL's get a lot of love on most audio/production forums out there...

I have a few friends that use the RP5's and they sound good whenever I've been round their gafs.

Where are you at? Because those prices are really high. The Yamahas & the JBLs are probably the best regarded out of this bunch.

I agree. Back when I got my first studio monitors people everywhere suggested either JBL or Yamaha.

Though the OP should take all these suggestions only as guidelines.
What the OP needs to do is to listen to the monitors and compare them, and that solely should determine wether he want them or not (except pricing of course).

Speakers. Man speakers are great. Even klipsch.
But Out of that list I don't see ya going wrong with anything tbh.

I've seen topics saying jbl has a more open sound[it certainly looks as if it can do that never heard one in person]
I use eris e5's, & some headphones tho.

Hm...I wonder what subs work with those types. Not hifis. Research time again.
I hope temblors aren't the only sub compatible with eris tho, not touchin one of them.

I have 2x JBL LSR2325P 5" powered monitors. LOVE them, especially for the price I paid (about $400 for both). Pretty flat frequency response but they can also get really loud (played some parties with them and never cranked them over 1/2 volume). Plus they have 3 different inputs -- balanced XLR, 1/4", and unbalanced RCA. Good to have options. I use XLR cables.

I think the models I have are discontinued but whatever is the new kind are I'm sure are fine. Eventually I may get a JBL subwoofer to go with them since I love me some bass.

Last edited:
Thank you for your replies. Yes, the price is in NZ dollar so a pair of JBL LSR305s is about 500 USD in here.

I have narrowed down the options to the rokit 5s and the lsr 305s.
I had a look at some youtube clips (Z reviews, Digital Stereophony) that show a comparison or a sound demo of these monitors and I thought the rokits were kinda picky on the music.
I am a newbie so I don't know for sure but rokits seemed to produce better sounds on more hiphop-like music than for example classical music. I think they have their own unique bassy sound that sounds a bit too much pronounced and sometimes muddy.
The lsr305s sounded more clear and seemed like a better all rounder monitor.

However, I think the rokits are still a solid choice. I think I can get used to it if I have to.
The thing is that there are no close shops around me that have the lsr305s in store so I can't really listen to them in person.
I can't really decide clearly at the moment.. Please share me your opinions :)

The prices are:
Rokit 5s = $415 USD
LSR305s = $499 USD

Listened to them all
None of em come close to the Focal Alpha 80 in my opinion.
If those are too expensive and your looking at cheaper ones and therefore less inches, then the smaller Alphas would do.
Built two Auratone clones to go with them and I'm all set.
Auratone DIY

Last edited:
If you're a beginner then it's probably best to perhaps not trust your ears until you know what you're listening for.

That's all I have to say really, I don't really know much about speakers

Back