Chill hip hop beats

beatsonbeats

New to beat making but been ****ing around on FL for the past couple of days. Got the basics down like making a drum pattern but how the hell do i make a half decent melody? I just want to make a chill/laidback hiphop beat that my friends and I can flow on when were bored. Any tips?

New to beat making but been ****ing around on FL for the past couple of days. Got the basics down like making a drum pattern but how the hell do i make a half decent melody? I just want to make a chill/laidback hiphop beat that my friends and I can flow on when were bored. Any tips?

Soft Synths! And if your tryna make like 90s style 'chill beats' a lot of them use samples

Alright thanks and where would i find soft synths? I use sytrus for my melodies and I only see short synths and long synths lol sorry I'm really noob at this.

soft synths (or at least that what i call them) are just synths that don't sound too harsh. What you can do is throw a Low Pass Filter on the 'harsh' synths to get that mellow sound. If you don't know how to use effects such as Low Pass, then I suggest hitting up some FL Studio tutorials on youtube.

Last edited:
I just got it down.
Can someone educate me on chords and leads?
Do i use piano for my chords or.. damn.. so confused
Any basic guides for making a good melody?

There are no rules when it comes to music... if it sounds good, it is good. Stop overthinking it. As far as theory goes, check out musictheory.net to learn some basic major and minor chords.. those will help you a lot. Also in FL Studio when you're in the piano roll you can click the drop down menu, select chords and it'll already place chords for you... so that might help you out rather than manually clicking them in.

Starting with a good electric piano sound like a fender rhodes and adding "pads" (chords on the keyboard with a very soft sound almost like voices (or even angel type voices if you can imagine) should start you in the right direction.

Back