Brass Chords/Hits

Ghost Loyal Fam

Does anyone have a link on how to compose a brass chord? Or what combo's of brass instruments make up a brass chord or 'stab' or 'hit' or whatever u want to call it?

Imagine a jazz horn line. You have a couple of trumpets. Maybe a trombone. And a sax or two.

I'll use the C chord as a reference here.

Trumpets are the heart of the line and can play a triad. A good jazz voicing is the the 3rd(E) and 7th(B), or minor 7th(Bb). This is called a "shell voicing". Leave out the root (I,C) and dominant note (V,G).

Trombones can play supporting notes like the 6th(A) or 13th(A - up one octave).

Saxes can play in unison with the trumpets to give the chord some body. But in addition to that, I like placing a high velocity sax note an octave above the trumpets. It gives that screaming sax effect. Sax players are crazy.

Trumpets: E and Bb
Trombones: Low A
Sax: Unison with trumpets and maybe an E 1 octave above the trumpet part.

Last edited:
yeah, just use the same intervals. Try it out though. That's off the top of my head because I'm at work. Otherwise I would have tested it myself.

Take the chord, use the 3rd note, the (minor)7th note. The 6th and 13th.

3-6-(m)7-13

the sound i'm looking for is that old soul stuff...you know where they have a lot of brass stabs that build up intros of songs and hit througout the song itself...do u think this would accomplish that sound?

Jazz chords can do that. Horn lines use different chords.

But if you want a big sound, think marching band, just a major chord layered will work. Those make cool brass hits too.

If your song isn't in a minor key, those jazz chords will sound awkward.

Ghost Fam- if you want it to sound like soul hits, just keep it real simple. No fancy notes, just chord tones. Trumpets on top, bone on the bottom, maybe a sax or two in between. I've played that stuff a lot and it's all the same- just nice and simple.

Back