BMI or ASCAP? Also Sample Question

B

Bruce Leroy

Hi guys. I need to get my publishing in place and was wondering, for those who have it, if I should go with BMI or ASCAP. Im not really understanding the differences. Another question is if I have beats with non-cleared samples in them, how does that work? Can they still be published? I know I can copywrite the arrangement at least but wasnt clear how it worked with publishing. Thank you for any info you may be able to give me!!

Peace :D

p.s.

I was unsure if i wanted publisher or the songwriter one. I make beats and rhyme ( mostly beats, but put out my own stuff as well, like EP's and whatnot where I made the beats and made the songs ( rapping and all on them )

Last edited by a moderator:
throw a dart at a board and pick one...it doesn't really matter.

You want to register as a songwriter/composer.

You shouldn't publish a song that has an uncleared sample. If you get to the point of publishing the song, then you probably have the resources to clear the sample. And often a stipulation of hte clearance is a piece of your publishing.

BMI/ASCAP membership only matters if you're going to have work in one of the federally mandated payment systems - i.e., broadcast radio/TV/Film, or if you're selling your own CD's to distributors. If you're doing your own distro (i.e., out of your car's trunk), you won't need BMI /ASCAP because you're not collecting any royalties.

If you're just selling beats or songs to other producers (typically, you'll sign over publishing rights, too), BMI/ASCAP aren't going to do anything for you.

Personally, I'm with BMI (threw a dart). I've only got a few songs registered, but because none of my work is showing up anywhere that's going to pay royalties, there's nothing BMI can do for me.

There are, however, other reasons to join a PRO - both BMI and ASCAP offer discounted healthcare plans to their members, as well as sponsoring networking events, etc.

Your call.

If BMI or ASCAP can't do anything for you then you really are not trying to make any money in this game. If you license your music you can make money through licensing fees, and royalties. A lot of people don't get thier music in the position to be played on broadcast radio/TV and film because they failed to do the neccessary paperwork. Signing up with BMI or ASCAP is one of those things. Which PRO you sign with can make a difference as well. Some organizations are more active in some cities than in others, which means depending on where your "dart lands" you may not have as many networking oppotunities. Both organizations offer different benefits to thier members also. With BMI I have a comdata card that gets my royalties to me a lot quicker than waiting on the royalty check to get cut then mailed to you. Also it impresses the f@ck out of people when they see it. ASCAP used to get you discounts at GUitar Center, from what I've been told they don't anymore. BMI gives its members a decent discount at Dell. I got my laptop according to my specs for less than $600 and that included shipping. All because I was a member of the right PRO. Dont' throw darts think about it and make an educated decision. You can call any of these organizations up and speak to some one that can help you.

As an artist that creates both musics and lyrics you should definitely sign with a PRO. Once you sign with them you can license your music to TV,Radio, and film, even websites and you can become eligible for royalties, depending on the situation. You may not be eligible for royalties on all projects, but one thing is for sure you will never be eligible for those royalties if you never sign up with one. "It's like lotto, you got to be in it to win it."

BMI charges you money for publishing credits. I **** with ASCAP for publishing & BMI for writing.

I dont **** with samples.

Logistical Styles said:
If BMI or ASCAP can't do anything for you then you really are not trying to make any money in this game. If you license your music you can make money through licensing fees, and royalties. A lot of people don't get thier music in the position to be played on broadcast radio/TV and film because they failed to do the neccessary paperwork. Signing up with BMI or ASCAP is one of those things. Which PRO you sign with can make a difference as well. Some organizations are more active in some cities than in others, which means depending on where your "dart lands" you may not have as many networking oppotunities. Both organizations offer different benefits to thier members also. With BMI I have a comdata card that gets my royalties to me a lot quicker than waiting on the royalty check to get cut then mailed to you. Also it impresses the f@ck out of people when they see it. ASCAP used to get you discounts at GUitar Center, from what I've been told they don't anymore. BMI gives its members a decent discount at Dell. I got my laptop according to my specs for less than $600 and that included shipping. All because I was a member of the right PRO. Dont' throw darts think about it and make an educated decision. You can call any of these organizations up and speak to some one that can help you.

As an artist that creates both musics and lyrics you should definitely sign with a PRO. Once you sign with them you can license your music to TV,Radio, and film, even websites and you can become eligible for royalties, depending on the situation. You may not be eligible for royalties on all projects, but one thing is for sure you will never be eligible for those royalties if you never sign up with one. "It's like lotto, you got to be in it to win it."

thank you very much, this certainly helped alot!

Back