Best way to run two instruments through my laptop on independent channels?

Blimsters

Hi, newbie here with a query I'd like some advice on.

I own a Korg Electribe, which I use basically as a toy to play around with as a bit of fun, rather than for any kind of serious performance or recording. I recently bought a Novation Mininova to expand the synth sounds I can play around with. What I'd like to be able to do is create some loops using the Electribe and play the Mininova over the top of it, but I'd like to be able to record and loop the output from the Mininova in real-time as I'm playing. What is the easiest, cheapest way to do this? I was thinking about getting a small mixer/USB audio interface (such as the Behringer 302USB) and running it through some software on my laptop, such as Ableton, but I'm worried that the mixer/laptop will combine both instruments into a single channel, and anything I record and loop will record the output from both instruments. Is it possible to get a USB audio interface which shows up as two separate channels on my laptop? Alternatively, would it be better to leave out the laptop, buy a sampler, and run the Mininova through it into a mixer along with the Electribe, and then the output from the mixer straight into my amplifier?

I hope I've explained my situation clearly, and I'm aware that the answers to some of my questions may be painfully obvious.

Thanks in advance for any input.

Last edited:
Most audio interfaces have two or more channels, so yes, that's the most obvious route to take here.

Back