Best Studio Monitors for the price or best in range?

astroskyisme

Hello, my name is austin shelton.

I'm a inspiring producer and vocalist.
Iv come to a time where i can finally afford the gear i want and need to move forward.
That being said. I need recommendations for the best studio monitors for around 300 or maybe 350 no more than that.
I'm going to need the cables and accessorys too for under that price.
I would perfer it to all to come in one order, you see i live in roatan atm, and im being very careful what i order.
If i dont like it, i cant send it back sadly.
So im going to order some speakers along with the cables and such and keep the price under 400.
I need it for music making,mixing,vocals and hopefully i can use them for regular use too.
Iv done research but i still cant find out the best for that price.
I saw a bundle for jbl studio monitors along with the cables for around 200-300 and i saw differnt kinds of speakers with cables. I dont know what is the best for my money.

I want a pair of speakers that i can have for a good while and be satisfied with its abilitys.

Just give me the best one you guys think ill be better off with.

I want them to look good. im a sucker for good looking products too.

Krks?Jbls? M audio? Behringer? If you have a recommendation make sure to give reasons why.

Thanks-austin shellton

Last edited:
okay

presonus eris e5.
yamaha hs5.
jbl.
mackie 250$ version.
krk's an ok brand but seriously...there's knobs on the back of the others to adjust EQ.

i saw a the 8 inch presonus used for 140 on amazon, i could buy 2 that way and its from amazon warhouse.

i could save some money that way.

8 inch monitors of all brands can be used as a sub too so yeah, that's a very good deal.
If it say new, like new, very good etc just dont get it if it's below good.especially not speakers, fair is a red flag

in this price range it's going to be hard to get a decent mix but this is what I suggest these two products
either one will do for now
JBL LSR305 5" Active Studio Monitor Pair
or
KRK Rokit 5

if you can stretch your budget to $400 which I think would be idea because you can grab these
Yamaha HS5 and the grab the sub later
the package even comes with two cables $10 to $20 value
and two Monitor stands worth $69.00 which I see as must
I'm so blessed I have some which made it much easier to position my Monitors
so when you look at the value stretching your budget to $400 is going to you more for your money
when you get your monitors one of the major things you need to do is position them correctly to get that sweet-spot
check this information

stay away from Behringer products when it comes to Studio Monitors

be Blessed

im looking at the yamaha, i know they are good but id rather replace them with something better looking?

the Yamaha have the best sound in the range
I have the Yamaha HSM8 with the Zen Pro Audio Modification

I don't need the sub since they have 8" low end driver
and with the modification the monitors just are more true sounding than before

it's funny that you're looking for style and not for a studio Monitors that are going to tell you the truth on exactly what's going on in your music

You're know the Dre Beat headphones look great right but the sound quality is crap..

If you're serious about your music you wouldn't be looking at something better looking???

If that's the case pick up some $100 consumer speakers with red,blue,purple colored cones

don't waste your money because a true producer is looking for tools to make their mixes sound great

I did intense research and any professional would take the Yamaha HSM8 or the 5's over the Rokit 5's why because they need something that doesn't color the sound

You're going to make a beat and then record a song and wonder back in the studio the bass sounded amazing but everywhere else I can't hear the bass because the Rokits are colored in the bass area making you believe you have the bass knocking but in reality the beat is not...

but like I said go cheap if you're looking for style
plenty of amazing looking consumer-grade speakers not studio monitors to buy

wow I googled consumer-grade speakers and hit image one of the first 8 pictures is the KRK rokits lol

in my studio before I moved to apt. I had
1.Sony floor speakers(to test my mix)
2.Computer speakers(to test my mix)
3.Yamaha HSM8 with the Zen Pro Audio Modification(used only when I was mixing beat/song)
4. Tannoy Proto-J(which I used to make my beats because I didn't care if I damage them)
5.Earbuds(to test my mix)

but hey you're a grown man choose what you want to use

Last edited:
There are a number of options available for around $400, I have to agree with hollandturbine, as tempting as it may be, wait till you have enough to afford some 8 inch monitors around $600 dollars or so, you've done the right thing by asking around and not impulse buying. Below are 8 inch monitors you might be interested in, these manufacturers all make smaller units.

RCF Ayra 8 Active Studio Monitors (Pair) - PMT Online
Tannoy Reveal 802 Active Studio Monitor (Single) - PMT Online
KRK Rokit RP8 G3 Active Studio Monitor Black (Pair) - PMT Online
Yamaha HS8 Active Studio Monitor - PMT Online
JBL LSR308 Active Studio Monitor (Single) - PMT Online
Presonus Eris E8 Active Studio Monitors (Pair) - PMT Online

The KRK's are polpular (not just because of price), Yamaha's legacy is legendary (NS10), Tannoy were known for their hi quality hi-fi speakers. You should try to listen to as many as you can. Take several songs you know and can rely on, with you, they should encorporate aspects that will cover the entire frequencey spectrum, remember you may produce EDM or Hip Hop today, tomorrow who knows? maybe Rock ballads, Jazz instrumentals even Classical parts.

I'm going with the Yamahas or the JBLS, They sound clean and good from what i'v read online and they get great reviews.
I just thought KrK's were the best but i was wrong. Yamahas sound like the best in that price as they don't sound Great and don't sound bad.
Just normal, They don't add bass to the mix or over color the sound too. Plus they don't look ugly as much as i thought. i mean having studio monitors look good anyhow XD

But i need to at least get a used pair if anything. I need a bundle with the stand and the balanced cables.
And maybe some shock pads for the vibrations.

Oh and can i use these monitors for regular use too?
I'f not any lower priced consumer speakers that are good to use for gaming and music *will wait to get these*

Also before i forget, is there some cheap diy stuff i could do to treat my room for sound?
Atm i wont be able to add bass traps or acoustic foam anywhere.
Would could work that might not be AS good but will suffice untill i can afford the real stuff........

Thanks-Austin Shelton

Last edited:
I'm going with the Yamahas or the JBLS, They sound clean and good from what i'v read online and they get great reviews.
I just thought KrK's were the best but i was wrong. Yamahas sound like the best in that price as they don't sound Great and don't sound bad.
Just normal, They don't add bass to the mix or over color the sound too. Plus they don't look ugly as much as i thought. i mean having studio monitors look good anyhow XD

But i need to at least get a used pair if anything. I need a bundle with the stand and the balanced cables.
And maybe some shock pads for the vibrations.

Oh and can i use these monitors for regular use too?
I'f not any lower priced consumer speakers that are good to use for gaming and music *will wait to get these*

Also before i forget, is there some cheap diy stuff i could do to treat my room for sound?
Atm i wont be able to add bass traps or acoustic foam anywhere.
Would could work that might not be AS good but will suffice untill i can afford the real stuff........

Thanks-Austin Shelton

here's a bundle

and you can use them for regular production use ..you just don't need to blast them

I usually make beats rocking headphones then move to monitors for mixing

there is DIY things you can do
1 panel is fine for your first reflection spots and your mixing cloud
make them thicker for the bass traps that you place in the corners

Last edited:
I recently spent 2 hours in a store listening to various pairs of monitors and left with a pair of Yamaha HS7's... Could not be happier!
the HS8's were out of my price range but tbh 8" monitors are probably too much for my room, which is very small (3m x 3m).
The HS5's sounded ok but even in my small room I anticipated the need for a sub as although the highs and mids are there; they lack much in the way of bass...
I'm not going to need that sub with the HS7's. Every thing you put into them comes out of them.
Also listened to KRK RP5' & 6's, some fostex (which I discounted due to lack of shielding), M-Audio BX5's and a pair of Adams...

Definitely the M_ Audio BX5a d2's. They sound awesome, I use them. They are computer designed. Tey are really good and even (flat) like you want. They get loud enough to listen to music on the internet radio thoughout my small house. They sound good both ways but are designed for "making" music.

I think they are sale right now. Im not sure. but musiciansfirned.com usually has good deals. I have recently received bunk gear from musicians friend though so beware. In other words maybe not here but perhaos if you search hard enough in your area you can find a good deal too.

M-Audio BX5a D2 are bomb. The only thing else I consider using is the Yamaha HS80 or 50s. But those are pricey and really detailed like for acoustic and really pristine sounds. They sure do sound good though. But they are out of your price range I think. I still love my BX5a's. They really work well. I wish I had the BX5a "d2's" I think I could use a tinny boost is the lows and highs. Mine are a tiny bit weak but hat makes my mix come out higher in the highs and lower in lows at the end of the day on regular speakers because of the way they "translate" or sound on "normal" speakers.

So choose wisely and visit a store and listen if you can. KRKs suck and pop in lows. BX5a D2 or HS50 is all I recommend.

I made the stuff I have on my soundcloud with BX5a's.

Back