Best Pad Controller For Newbie Hip Hop Producer?

Marzzz

I really want to get into making hip hop beats and was told I should start off with a pad controller before anything. Which is best for a new guy like myself/

If you are only looking for pads to play with, there are dedicated controllers that have nothing but pads such as the akai mpd18.

1. You can use the mouse
  2. You can use the keyboard like an mpcd[calling it that to include all padkons]
  3. Depends on what you looking for
  4. I'd recommend padkontrol[For drums this thing is amazingly fast response]
  5. mpd32[Even though I only have the 18 model]This is better for melodic samples imo soft buttons
  6. For synths and vsts that are like pianos I'd recommend a cheap piano or use the padkon to trigger notes
  7. You can go the mpk route
  8. Read up on what midi is
  9. Learn the record tools beforehand
  10. Get a focusrite 2i2, mackie or maudio/presonus interface to reduce lag.
  11. Mpcs have no input lag whatsoever but they usually only have 16bit, could not find a 32bit depth mpc anywhere so never bought one.
  12. You can get by with no interface but you are limited [If you do not intend to make dnb or fast music, skip the interface]

If you want to start making beats you actually don't need any controller.
I started doing this without controller and I learned a lot. Maybe using it could help you in some ways and you could have fun playing wit it so,

I recommend you LPD8 to start in the craft, it's simply a plug-in controller. Connect it to the PC and start making beats. It is such a cheaper machine but maybe when you improve your skills you'll want a better controller.

MPD Series could be a good choice. Those works like LPD8 but with more pads (16), faders, lot of knobs...and of course more expensive (but still being a good choice)
Look for these machines on google and choose one:)

[.phelix]

at the price of a MPD32....you may want to look at paying the difference and getting a full solution like a maschine micro

Back