Best MIDI keyboard on a budget? FL Studio 11

bmxtrev

Hey guys,

I've had FL Studio for a few years now and its the only producing software i use. Right now I have no hardware or gear, just a mouse and my laptop. I mainly make trap/edm style beats, but I also do a fair share of sampling to make hip hop beats (9th wonder is an influence lol).

I want to get a midi keyboard so I can play chords and map different sounds to the keys so I can record each instrument live, instead of using piano roll with a mouse to guess and check my timing and sound. Basically, I'm looking for a keyboard that I can use like an MPC where each key can be mapped, and also has a pitch bend lever as well as some hit pads. I'm on a budget though, I'm looking for the best compromise I can get for no more than 200 bucks.

What should I look into?

Thanks

just go to your local craigslist and look under musical inst you should be able to find one within a 50-100 budget also remember that all those old junky casio keyboards you can buy at pawn shops/garage sales ect usually have a midi port on them so if you wanted to go super cheap just check to see if it can send midi data ( you wont need to receive )

Yea i like my mpk49... not sure how the pads are on the mini...
b/c they look different... but adding tape to them helps a whole lot///

May i ask why u didnt go with the 25 instead...??

nvrmnd prolly was the price...

Yeah i went with the mini because of price. I got it for 70 bucks, which is great. It has everything i'm looking for minus the pitch and mod wheels, but i've learned i can map anything to the knobs on the mini.

yea.. i never new they were that expensive new... i got my 49 used for cheaper then there selling the mini new...
thats ridicules...

have fun wit it ...

I just bought the M-Audio Keystation Mini 32, it's retail is $100 but some places have it on deal I got it for $49 & free shipping. Check out Sweetwater.com. I just got it the other day, they sent me A bag of candy in the box as well I thought that was dope lol.

I went with the Korg Mini. Nice little keyboard and fits on my desk. The fact that you can set the key signal up and down the Octave range makes for me having a big keyboard pretty much pointless. As I only really use the keyboard for sampling various patches at different velocities and keys.

Last edited:
+1 for the MPK mini . it was only like 75 $ brandnew for me on amazon. The only downside for me is that it only has 2 keys worth of octaves but it has buttons to change octaves.( i dont really know how to play piano anyways) It also has 8 drum pads and a button for 2nd drum pads so thats 16..and it has 8 knobs for turning in mixing and stuff,, It is defintly not the best controller but I dont regret spending 75 $ on it. It is defintly worth the money to me because like you my friend I am on a budget..Also it hooks up usb, and I use Ableton but i tried it on fl studio and it works fine.You can probally find a used one on ebay for even like 40 $ or less if you dont mind buying anything used

+1 for the MPK mini . it was only like 75 $ brandnew for me on amazon. The only downside for me is that it only has 2 keys worth of octaves but it has buttons to change octaves.( i dont really know how to play piano anyways) It also has 8 drum pads and a button for 2nd drum pads so thats 16..and it has 8 knobs for turning in mixing and stuff,, It is defintly not the best controller but I dont regret spending 75 $ on it. It is defintly worth the money to me because like you my friend I am on a budget..Also it hooks up usb, and I use Ableton but i tried it on fl studio and it works fine.You can probally find a used one on ebay for even like 40 $ or less if you dont mind buying anything used

They actually have a brand new version of MPK Mini out now.

They added a sustain pedal port (!!), a joystick, and a bunch of other features:

Akai Professional MPK MINI MKII 25-Key Ultra-Portable USB MIDI Keyboard and Pad Controller with Joystick (Amazon.com)

It's in the "Top 3" of the best portable MIDI controllers in this review:

The 3 Best Portable MIDI Controllers

-Ki
Salem Beats (+Reviews)
gpWmqu

Back