Best Midi Keyboard

I Am Me

I need a Midi keyboard and not a synth because I will be using software synths, I am looking for somthing in the area of 200 USD but if there is a better keyboard for a bit more, give me an example of the one around 200 bucks and of the more costly Midi that I should look into. Idk maybe for example one the Is touch sensitive or somthing... Or maybe even if I can get somthing just as good for less $$$. -Thank you for leaving comments

Favourites: Novation SL series, Akai MPK series, Roland A800 Pro. All about twice your budget, though. Roland has a smaller 49-key model called 400S which is right at $199, but don't know if it's mechanically different than its bigger brother.

Thank you sir

---------- Post added at 03:33 AM ---------- Previous post was at 02:39 AM ----------

All these keyboards you recommended seem to have alot of added stuff on the upper half of the whole keyboard, like knobs and stuff that make it more expensive. I want a midi keyboard compatible with FL studio and Ableton live, I just want a plain touch sensitive keyboard since I will be making music on software (Electronic music) I just want a lot of keys, 61 minimum, and no added junk that makes price go through the roof. :)

m audio... best option for your price range... 61 key is 169.00 and the 88 is 219.00 and the m audio Oxygen 61 is 199.00 and its come with knobs and levels

Last edited:
I got the AKAI LPK25, it's about $80, you can't go wrong there. tbh, I only ever use chords across 2 octaves, so 25 keys is adequate, and is small enough to be portable.

Win win.

All these keyboards you recommended seem to have alot of added stuff on the upper half of the whole keyboard, like knobs and stuff that make it more expensive. I want a midi keyboard compatible with FL studio and Ableton live, I just want a plain touch sensitive keyboard since I will be making music on software (Electronic music) I just want a lot of keys, 61 minimum, and no added junk that makes price go through the roof. :)

Well, yeah. There just aren't really that many "plain & simple" keyboards that'd be cheaper - more often than not, those with quality keybeds & no frills tend to be at least as expensive as those mentioned.

With that budget, go for the M-Audio Oxygen 61. You get 61 keys PLUS transport controls and knobs -- and depending on your DAW, you can probably map it to make it integrate almost seamlessly with your software (i.e. you'd hardly need to touch your mouse to do things).

I have the Oxygen 49 and I'm extremely happy with it (except for the fact that the B key right before middle C got broken when I put it in my check-in luggage for a flight :sigh: )

Last edited:
no best you go by these to choose your MIDI keyboard
1.budget
2.do you need lots of sliders/knobs(for MIDI learn features in your DAW)
3.have many keys would you like to have
4.how mobile to do want to be(also weight and how many keys)
5.do you need it to be an audio interface as well

all the suggestions on companies to look at are great
Keyboard Controllers | Sweetwater.com

I use a Casio WK-1800 General MIDI keyboard I brought back in 2002 (it has tons of sounds I use them for about 2 years then started using it as a MIDI controller for sounds I have attained and used in FL Studio 3 yep way back then)
the keyboard is still intact
I paid $400 for that keyboard
If I paid $400 today I could get an amazing MIDI keyboard with
1.large number of keyboard (I want range)
2.tons of sliders and Knobs(I want to control all aspects of my Virtual Instruments by hand not via mouse)
3.size and mobility is not important to me I use my stuff in my home studio

I'll be picking up something like this next year if I don't make a profit off of production or mixing then I don't get to buy(makes your grind harder)
https://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/Impulse61/
then I'll give my Casio to my wife and kids

-Coach Antonio
"Let Me Handle your next Praise Party"

Make Money from Your Music New Money Marketing Forum*
*Music Business Professionals Read Their Tips
Elite Services for those Who Want to Attain their Goals
Research and Information Gathering Expert
Building Relationships to Build Success
Get the Information and Direction You Deserve
The Walking On Water Media/Ent. Business Coach Antonio​

Last edited:
What software will you be hosting your virtual instruments with? You wanna look at which controller has the greatest compatibility out of the box. Otherwise, be prepared for spending a lot of time getting the software to "learn" your knobs.

I've got the Akai MPK 49, I thought 49 would fit best on my desk. I rarely change octaves anyways...

I love it!

I use Ableton Live

Last edited:
This is a 76 key semi weighted Roland A70. Wish they still made them, but they stopped production somewhere back in the early-mid 2000's. Loaded with features too. I'll post a link from Rolands site.

dscf0271dd1.jpg

A-70: Expandable Controller | Roland U.S.

Back