Best Free Synth Plugin?

bluesweet

Recently I've been playing with a number of free synths, and I can never get the sound I want. The specific sound I'm looking for is just a clear and "normal" synth with strings that I can add to a chillstep/dnb song. :hmmm:

What DAW are you on? Many of them have some pretty great built in synths.

When you get into talking about sound design, it's really less about the synth and more about how you mold your sound.

Countless upon countless "normal" sounds in all forms of popular music are simple waveforms like sawtooth waves that practically any synth should be able to do. The rest is simply about proper use of filters, distortion, envelope, simple modulation, etc.

If you're looking for a chill sounding pad type effect for a chill dnb track, then I recommend building out a simple sawtooth wave with some relatively aggressive low pass filtering on it. Add some chorusing and increase the amount of voices to maybe 5. (If your synth allows it.) If it doesn't sound right, try playing around in different octaves. Octaves make a massive difference.

Hope this helps a bit! When in doubt, remember that less is more. Start simple. Almost everything is simpler than it seems.

Zebralette is a personal favourite. Used to use it extensively until I upgraded to Zebra2.

Also like suggested above, the stock plugins should get you a long way (of course this varies quite greatly depending on the daw you're actually uaing) until you can buy some proper vsts.

And let's face it. There's no such thing as the best "anything".

Last edited:
Back