The Best DAW?

Medusv_Trvp

Okay so I use fl studio 10 for my production, so far everything has been going good I learn new things every day, but I always hear people talk shit about fl studio? why? I dont want to get so used to the program and then find out that there are better programs, So what are the pros and cons of fl, and differences in pro tools and ableton live?

People talk shit about all DAWs. It's mostly their insecurity talking; don't let it become yours. If it does what you want it to do, stick with it.

The best DAW is the one that allows you the workflow to express your creativity as easily as possible. If that's FL Studio for you, then so be it.

No such thing all DAWs have their ups and downs. The DAWs that I have used heavily over the years
Acid Pro- A great tool for sample based producers but its very mouse heavy and hasn't been updated in like 5 years
Cubase- Too complex imo. Very easy to use just way too deep and not as user friendly until you understand how Cubase works. I haven't touched Cubase since 2005 I can't just pick it up and go anymore
Sonar- The daw I jumped on when I gave up on Cubase. Its very easy to use and is very deep and intutive but buggy.
Reason- The first DAW I really took to is a great DAW to get ideas going and if you enjoy sound design, making weird fx patches, and programming synths this is one of my favorites. It doesn't support vsts but you can get just about any sound you want out of it.
Ableton Live- The DAW I currently use. Its a headache when it comes to mixing but it works. Its a great creative tool but it has a bit of a learning curve unless you are a seasoned producer. Its cpu heavy and can be quite buggy and expensive compared to other DAWs.

I dont even hear many people talk about FL Studio anymore in the rap world just because of the crazy success of hip hop producers that use it, kind of was hated on a lot a few years ago though lol.

To me logic appeals best. Besides what I find easier to learn,appearence is a Factor for me too. Reason and fruity loops are an eye sore to me.

I personally use Reason 6.5 but as I grow as a composer I see the limitations of using Reason as a stand alone software. Has anyone had experience with Komplete 8? I find myself more of an orchestrated film composer these days needing to sync with video and the like.

I've only used FL Studio and Garageband, I've heard people say Pro Tools is a program more for the studio but just use whatever you have, take the time to watch tutorials and you can learn any DAW, as long as you know the core values in making a music, the only part that should get in your way is transitioning from one program to another.

Which ever DAW makes your work flow most at ease is the best for you. FL, Logic, Ableton, ect, they are all good quality DAWs. The only thing with FL is that it is limited in it's audio production. It is a midi based workstation and is not built for recording audio.

Last edited:
Dear miaminademusic,

You make a good point, Reason 6.5, is not ideal for recording either but they have the means now. Propellerhead has come out with [FONT=arial, sans-serif]Reason Essentials, however I have not tried it out.

Has anyone experience with Komplete 8?

Take it easy,

Nathan Luis Steinke
Owner/Composer/Publisher
www.liftedCREATION.com
[/FONT]

Back