Being Content Vs Doing what you love ...... Need help

1nonlykid

My story:
I'm currently in a position where i am forced to leave my parents house and make a living for myself.
I have a degree in I.T with a couple years experience.
But my passion has always been Music, Music and Music.
I somehow learnt how to DJ in the last few months as well as learn electronic music production.
So far so good. My training for both have been doing well so far. Although Music production is gonna take me lot me more time to make a decent track.

At my current situation at home, i have to leave and make a living for myself and look for another house in the next 3 months.
But i don't want to go back to my I.T job. I don't like it and moreover it will only hinder my music training.
I wanna do something that will not just keep me stable financially but also not spoil my music training thing as i feel a corporate job will only make things bad.

At this point of time , i wanna ask u my fellow DJ's and Producers, what kind of job should i look for and why ?
I need your suggestion on this. What would you do if you were on my side.
I know being financially safe is the best bet. But i don't want that at the cost of anything.

I was told by someone to get a mundane job so i will keep my interest going at home. But i have no idea over this. Give me your inputs.

Describe your situation and more importantly how old are you and do you have anyone other than yourself to support e.g. a parent, relative, child, etc.?

How did you learn how to DJ in the midst of what you are experiencing? Do you gig or not?

Music has never been high on any list for financial stability and if anyone tells you otherwise they are delusional and it is this delusion that leads people to spend money on a degree in a field where, unless one plans to teach music, it is not a necessity.

The idea of a dream job has never existed as every job has its mundane moments. You don't want to be broke as there is nothing normal about having no money, benefits, etc.

Tech and music have had a long relationship so why ditch I.T.?

Describe your situation and more importantly how old are you and do you have anyone other than yourself to support e.g. a parent, relative, child, etc.?

How did you learn how to DJ in the midst of what you are experiencing? Do you gig or not?

Music has never been high on any list for financial stability and if anyone tells you otherwise they are delusional and it is this delusion that leads people to spend money on a degree in a field where, unless one plans to teach music, it is not a necessity.

The idea of a dream job has never existed as every job has its mundane moments. You don't want to be broke as there is nothing normal about having no money, benefits, etc.

Tech and music have had a long relationship so why ditch I.T.?

I'm 24. I don't have anyone to support. But will have to support myself in a couple of months. Just don't want to take a bad career decision and regret it later.
I'm chucking I.T job as it requires one to be updated and keep learning about technology and stuff. I've done it before. Hence i know it.
If i don't make up my mind in some time, i might have to consider joining a BPO/Call Center. But that too is a corporate job and i don't like it. But still have to do it if there is no option left.
I do a few gigs here and there. But the income isn't something that would help me pay even a months grocery or utility bills.
I learned how to DJ at home. I have a pretty good setup . I practiced on that. It was fun.

I sometimes wonder. Did all the top DJ's /Producers too have a mundane corporate job too ? If No, how did they take care of themselves with a non-corporate job that is not financially safe for them to survive for a good amount of years.

Last edited:
Back