Beginning mixing and mastering

K1NGofDBP

I want to start learning to mix my rap vocals on my own instead of sending them to someone to have it done. What are some good programs that are relatively affordable? Also what are your thoughts on Reaper? Any feedback helps, thanks!

I want to start learning to mix my rap vocals on my own instead of sending them to someone to have it done. What are some good programs that are relatively affordable? Also what are your thoughts on Reaper? Any feedback helps, thanks!

Honest to lower case god mate. Send them to me and I'll send them back with a bad-ass backing track. I'll explain exactly what I did and why I did it. We'll both learn something. Most importantly we both will have "whapped" (just made that word up but it means "presented gallantly" ya'll) our metaphorical balls on the table and be 347 "awesomeness" points above the 347 people who will have read this thread and pussied out, not having the gargantuam balls we had to deliver on our aural prophecies.

Or hide?

ok, so reaper is a good starting point to learn the ins and outs of mixing and making backings - some folks do not like how it is different to their daw of choice in how things are done but then familiarity is always going to trump better gear if you cannot get your head around how it does things and why it does it differently

I use reaper to share projects with clients when they do not have any other daw to begin with

@chesspieces: whapped is not a newly made up word with that meaning - has been in use for at least the last 40 years of my life here in sunny Oz (33[sup]o[/sup]+ Celsius today)

Good thing about Reaper is that you can try out the FULL version for 60 (might be 30 but I think it's 60) days for free and if you dig it the license is (very) fairly priced.
I've tried it and it's definitely full featured. You also have a massive support network on their (Cockos) forum.

But OP... What are you currently recording vocals to?

I'm a Studio One (Presonus) fan. Very easy to get along with.
I use Cubase (5) as well. Not much Cubase can't do.

There's also a huge resurgence on the FruityLoops.
FL-Studio is now a pretty solid base for an artist/producer that apparently has a fairly gentle learning curve.
Definitely worth checking out.

If I had a Mac I'd probably run Logic.

Im currently considering a move to ProTools but this is partly to do with the way I make beats and might not suit everyone.

Most of my mates use (and adore) Ableton Live... Ableton and I do not get along - I wish we did but we don't.

Back