Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Beginners Question answered : Do I need good speakers or can I use headphones?

Thanks
    Sign in to disable this ad
    I have Event Monitors... Dropped them a few times by accident & they still slap. Had them since 2008. I'll end up upgrading soon, but they definitely held me down & they are my favorite thing to mix on.
    Real shit is not everyone
    http://soundcloud.com/themostofcl

Thanks
    You should be able to mix through headphones as well as a good pair of monitors. Key word monitors because you wont be able to mix anything properly with computer or desktop speakers. I have a pair of KRK monitors that were at a good price. They work fine.
    Tips and Tricks on Audio Production and The Music Industry:
    http://fortheproducer.wix.com/home

Thanks
    First of all, great post! I am producing for over a year and I never had enough money to buy monitors. I still do not have enough money for monitors because everytime the money is spent for other things. As I said, I produced for over a year and I know some friends that wanted to produce as well. They all said that they needed "gear" in order to start (Also monitors). I had no "gear" and I just started, and now I am one year further and I am still producing with no monitors. Yes I have those $40 speakers (A crazy 2.1 hehehe) and all of my work came from them. I did try real monitors (the krk 8's in a studio) and I must say that it opened my eyes.

What I could afford were headphones, I bought the Sennheiser hd280's and they are great, not as great as real monitors but still very good! I will keep producing because I love it and will possibly buy monitors this year. What I am trying to say is that monitors are actually a must have BUT having no monitors does not mean that you are not allowed to produce music and you don't need them in order to start producing music.
    Last edited by itsatrap; 04-11-2014 at 07:22 AM.

Thanks
    Well said ! Don't let a lack of good equipment stop you from creating music,but,understand that to take it to the next level you either need to have the right tools or give your music to someone who has the right tools .
    For professional mixing and mastering services at an affordable price:
    www.outerlimitrecordingstudio.com

Thanks
    what about headphones. i know a musician who told me the use of headphones is fine and dont rely on speakers.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by emo147 View Post
    what about headphones. i know a musician who told me the use of headphones is fine and dont rely on speakers.
    Headphones are good to reference once in a while as a third or fourth reference, but they are definitely NOT fine. Try this: Put on a set of headphones and put 2 ounces of pressure on the outside of the right headphone. Notice the incredible difference in volume, and if your ears are keen enough, notice how much more bass you hear than anything else. This is just one of many reasons that headphones are not advisable at all as a primary sound source for mixing. Any change in the position changes what you hear. Not only volumes, but more specifically frequencies, panning, and a whole list of others factors change with positioning on your ears. Earbuds are ten times worse. Please don't even consider those.

Here's another MAJOR reason that headphones are not advisable. Headphones, much more than speakers, are hyped. This means that the manufacturer purposely augments some frequencies to make them sound "better." Now, this is fine if you're just listening to music. You can listen to a bunch of headphones, pick the one that sounds best to you, and go on your way. When mixing, however, we want ACCURACY, which is not necessarily giant pounding bass and super-crisp high-end. That doesn't mean - I repeat - that DOESN'T mean that we can't have thundering bass and great sounding highs, it just means that we don't want these injected into the headphones beforehand, because that will actually make you falsely think that you have huge bass when you don't, and you'll mix less in, thereby giving LESS bass to the eventual listener who's listening on a different system. Multiply that by all of the different frequencies and other factors, and you end up with PLENTY of reasons to run from headphones as a primary mixing tool.
    For professional mixing and mastering services at an affordable price:
    www.outerlimitrecordingstudio.com

Thanks
    thank you,
    RecordingStudioKen

Thanks
    I see no problem with mixing with headphones as long as you bounce your final track off of at least three different sound systems. The point of mastering is making it sound as best as it can for as many people as possible
    First melodic D&B track ever

Thanks
    The best tool to improve your mixdowns are your own ears. You need to listen a LOT of tracks and pay attention on every little detail there is. It is frustrating for sure but it's the best way. I personally prefer to start up with good headphones (beyerdynamic DT770 pro for example) and get used to the sound. Accurate source of music is everything that counts when you need to listen carefully. Monitors are good also but many of us don't own studio or decent acoustical place to mix in so first off I would prefer decent headphones.

Thanks
    I have always used some ancient (but good) B&W DM5 speakers. Now thinking of purchasing some quality studio headphones to get a wider range of sound.

Thread Information