Beginner question about mini home studio.

peek188

Hi all.

Probably this question has been around 1000's times but would like to know things updated for 2017.

I'm intrested in music production (edm/dance, dubstep and hip hop) and got question regarding software and equpiment.

I have limited budget (about 700 pounds uk) for midi keyboard, interface, speakers and headphones. I decided to buy scarlet 2i2 and sennheiser hd 280 pro studio.
what keyboard(i got basic music theory, doing now piano courses, can play guitar:)) you would recommend? Full 88 keys or mini like a Novation or Akai 25 will be enough?

Regarding software for beginner straightforward - Ableton or FL (for more dance/dubstep). What would be your personal choice?

Thank You?

Last edited:
Welcome to FP and yes what you ask has been and continues to be asked so please, if you found this forum and decided to take time to sign up, take time to research using the Internet as Google and YouTube can be helpful but you still have to wade through morass to get to quality.

I'm at no point where I can say I play keys but don't aim for mini-anything, look at either a 49, 61 or 76 key as space should always be a consideration when buying anything.

Software doesn't matter as they all are a way to record, mix and/or master and above all do not do anything yourself that you can pay someone whose sole focus is to do what you do not know how to do.

As you play instruments don't ever give that aspect up and it is less distracting than a DAW.

Last edited:
Hi all.

Probably this question has been around 1000's times but would like to know things updated for 2017.

I'm intrested in music production (edm/dance, dubstep and hip hop) and got question regarding software and equpiment.

I have limited budget (about 700 pounds uk) for midi keyboard, interface, speakers and headphones. I decided to buy scarlet 2i2 and sennheiser hd 280 pro studio.
what keyboard(i got basic music theory, doing now piano courses, can play guitar:)) you would recommend? Full 88 keys or mini like a Novation or Akai 25 will be enough?

Regarding software for beginner straightforward - Ableton or FL (for more dance/dubstep). What would be your personal choice?

Thank You?

49 keys is a happy medium imo... I have a Novation Impulse49 and it's solid.
In terms of your DAW - try and have a mess about with a few and see which you prefer.
I find Ableton a nightmare (unless it's connected to PUSH) but my best mate uses it (without PUSH) and makes dope music!
I've not used FL for over a decade - it's apparently pretty good these days.
Personally, I use a combo of Maschine, Studio One, Cubase and hardware (grooveboxes, synths & drum machines)

I say get whatever gives you the most functionality. Get something with pads and knobs so you dive into the cool things in EDM. The keys are the "old" part of the keyboard. Music theory still applies of course, but the innovative stuff happens on the pads and knobs. Get a midi keyboard that has everything built into it, especially if you're making edm. You'll have a lot of fun adding live effects to the melodies you write.

For the DAW, make your tunes in FL Studio. ;) Use live for live performances.

Last edited:
But i can't understand one thing- 25keys keyboards are capable of the same things as a 49 or 61 right? Im thinking about M audio Oxygen 49 but considering 25 versions of Akai and Novation.

ya you can switch the octaves up and down, but with today's style of music, 25 is okay, but one octave more is preferred. A full piano is really just if you wanna play like a phd music instructor with your fingers flying. The focus is on the frequency and effects now (that's where the market and fans are heading).

You can play a note and and mess with its frequency right there on the keyboard (like a real synth essentially).

Last edited:
If you are doing piano courses, I would suggest at least 49 keys. 25 is fine for basslines and chord stabs but if you want to play two-handed it won't be enough.

Software: try some demos and see what clicks for you. Ableton/Studio One/Reaper/Bitwig etc...

You might want to look at Maschine as well. Great pads and great software (though not really a complete DAW). You can pick them up for a reasonable price used - just make sure it comes with a legit licence transfer via Native Instruments accounts.

I find laying down melodies much quicker on 49 than a 25.
I'm not a huge fan of mini-keys but the Korg boards are pretty playable and the have a 37key option.
I don't have the space for bigger than 49 anyway and for many people real estate on the desk is a serious consideration.

And one last thing- what is the learning curve if comparing piano with 88 keys to 49 midi? I mean how difficult is to switch from piano to midi keyboard?

The amount of keys just gives you more options re: higher pitches in your melody, chords, etc.; two hands at the piano. Otherwise, keys are keys (from a quantity perspective). However, piano keys and inexpensive MIDI keyboard keys are very different, from a technique perspective. There are no "mini-key pianos" (not real ones, anyway). Piano keys are weighted; keyboard and organ keys are not. Piano keys are different from organ/keyboard keys in other ways as well (piano keys have a little lip/overhang at the end of the key, some keyboards do not).

If you are at all a serious piano student, check with your teacher and get something that will support your lesson practice. If you are just trying to learn a little fundamental theory and get to creating, choose a keyboard that fits your budget and get to it. It all depends on your goals.

If learning even a tiny bit of music theory, go for no less than 61 keys if you are certain you do not ever want to use an octave switcher period.

thank you all for help guys i will go for m audio oxygen 61 as it is in good price. Any recommendations regarding midi keyboards tutorials?
And one more things. Which daw will let me mixing and adding sound effects to my beats as i would have mixer and turntable (what i will buy later on after dj course).

It depends on the keyboard and if it has hammer-action weighted keys or not. If it does, it'll feel more like an authentic piano, but if not, that's still fine. Ultimately switching from piano to keyboard and vice versa shouldn't be too much of a challenge, you'll still be able to play what you want.

'Which daw will let me mixing and adding sound effects to my beats as i would have mixer and turntable"

All of the daws lets you add sound effects to your beats. It's basically up to you, you can learn any of them. They're all pretty similar with just differences in the user interface. Some like ableton are geared toward performance, while the rest are for recording and producing.

Last edited:
Midi keyboard go up to 96 keys dude.

Not really. There's only one of them that I know of, and that's the Vax Midi Keyboard - which afaik is either dead or still in development. Not that there are any 96-key pianos either, besides some special Bösendorfer models (and probably a handful of other stuff...).

Hello and welcome!
I been producing on many keyboards and I'm currently using an Oxygen 25 mk4 for midi and an old Yamaha 9000 pro. In the past I used countless midi keyboards and also a Korg Chrome 88 which I didn't plan to buy until my fingers tried it (it was amazing).

I must say that when I moved back here and got my setup done I thought my 25keys wasnt enough and had to buy a 49.. after some time I didn't feel the urge to upgrade anymore, also because those genres are mostly loops and turn-arounds that won't exceed the range of a 25key (sometimes happens I miss just some keys but it's not a big deal).. I also did my math because I didn't have much space on my table and the 25 fits perfectly.
It's up to your playstyle and your needs. I was used to play on big keyboards and found myself bottleneckd when I had to play on that small, 25 keys one.. I still think the 49keys is the perfect size so if you have space I'd go for it.

Back