Beginner/please help me with melodys?

Defilex

Alright, i've probably logged about 100 hours into fl studio 10, starting to get the hang of it but nowhere near even average on it compared to most others, i've figured out how to use brass and i'm good at making trap type beats,(have multiple full length beats ranging from 2-5 minutes long, decently mixed and detailed) but the problem is, thats not what im going for. I want to make more uplifting beats, think drake - headlines, love me - lil wayne, you get the point, this is one of my favorite beats ever,(shoulda known by Childish Gambino, cant post links yet) so could someone tell me maybe what some of the instruments i'm hearing are? I cant tell if the main melody is a keyboard or synth or any of that, just basically could someone help me kind of break down the beat instrument wise or tell me how or what instruments to use to get more of the kind of beat i'm going for?

Shoulda known - Childish Gambino <-- thats the beat i like a lot,(can't post links yet, if you have the time, even for only 1 minute of it, give it a listen :) ) i don't want to make it exactly but i like the mood of those decently fast tempo beats. First time posting here, just starting to make music, since this is the beginner thread i'm hoping i can get some actual advice, instead of being put down for an actual question like on other forums, thanks in advance

Last edited:
For uplifiting mood on your tracks, you should probably give the major scales a try.

As I can see, you ust started producing, so some of the terms can sound like a seven headed beast to you. Advice:

- listen to the genre/producer/artist you consider been your influence;

- read the manual of both Fl Studio and it's plugins and synths (Image-line's website is the way to go here;

- watch tutorial videos on youtube. There are tons of them out there, some with an overall view of a genre, others with a more specific view;

- open the synth you want to use, and mess around with those knobs. some things will only come with practice and trial-and-error;

- did I mention "read the manual"?

what the guy said above - i'm starting to get to grips with melody's and how to change the sound of the preset leads/brass/piano sounds...

A good way to find melody's is to take a look at the internet for chord patterns and scales... it's a great place to start, once you have those nailed you can start chosing instruments that compliment them.

There's much info on theory, and theory will ALWAYS help you to sound like you wanna sound. here is a good site on theory, that I think you should favorite it on your browser: teoría - Music Theory Web. also, you can always rely on the more experienced people of FP, like bandcoach and many others.

Back