Is this a bad idea

DavidStarz

I've been producing for a little under a year now. My overall focus at the moment is to get better and progress as a producer/musician/artist/whatever. I have a couple tracks that I've worked on and could say are completed if I wanted to, but at the moment, I almost feel like it's more progressive for me to take my time with my tracks and keep learning/progressing while I make changes to them along the way. As of late, I've been thinking about not releasing any music for at least a year to get better and feel more comfortable with my work. Within that time, I plan to improve all the tracks that I've been working on so far and collaborate with other artists to learn from them, share ideas and inspiration, etc.

I guess what I'm trying to ask is that in your opinion, would you suggest this method of taking a long period of time to improve as a producer with your tracks or am I better off taking the year to make as many beats as I can to improve (keeping in mind the idea of quality over quantity of course)? I know many people think the idea of completing tracks allows for progression when it comes to producing, but idk. Some insight would be appreciated.

I strongly agree that completing tracks allows for progression, from personal experience it has helped me a ton. Look your a musician, which means your going to be making new music all of the time. Holding on to the same old projects just to go back and tweak them is only going to hurt you. I say finish your projects and make the next on better.

I'd wait about a year or two before I mess with older tracks, while making new ones then go back to the older ones, then back to the new, then old, then new etc it's the recycle method

New tracks all the way! The more stuff you complete, the faster you improve.

Just bang out as many new tracks as you can from start to finish. Then, over time, revisit your old stuff and you'll be surprised at how much better you got.

Back