Audio interface question.

EonSin

Hey guys,
I was wondering, I am new to producing music and I bought myself an audio interface recently.
I noticed that when I listen to my mix with my headphones plugged in my audio interface, it sounds worse than when
it's plugged in my computer directly (I can't really explain in what way) is this normal? Is the sound that i'm hearing from the audio interface the ''real one''?

Thanks a lot!

hard to say what you are hearing ...

what is your audio interface ?

are you using the latest drivers for it for your operating system?

again hard to say - what you hear may be affected by too many variables to contemplate

poor audio drivers for the mobo
wrong drivers for the interface
impaired hearing response from long term use of in-ear headphones
wrong gain structure for your interface/daw causing distortion and other unwanted artefacts

are just a few that come to mind

best bet is to compare using a known piece of audio (a song that you know intimately) and compare and contrast the two playback situations

Yes, already did the test. It's like if there was a difference in terms of EQ... More highs less bass, I guess. But I swear there's an obvious difference.
I'll check for the drivers.

what OS?

check that you have not accidentally or otherwise actually moved the OS sound driver eq up or down

Windows, I forgot I had an EQ on ''realtek HD audio manager'' I guess that's it. So in the end I should mix with the sound coming from the audio interface?
I'm also gonna try putting my mix on my Iphone to see what it sounds like.

always mix without any added colour via your output sources (mobo or interface) then you will know that you are creating a balanced mix, at least in terms of what you are using

Last edited:
Not that it really matters that much, but I guess it's good to keep in mind that the Realtek chip on your mobo is just as much an "audio interface" as the external one, so there's no conceptual difference in listening one or the other. The d/a converters in your Steinberg unit are just better, so you'll get a truer sound (as long as it's operating correctly, but sounds like you already found the culprit...).

Back