Audio Interface best to buy

M

mkamsi

Hi,
I want 2 in 2 out audio interface with good audio quality output.
Can u please suggest me ?
Right now I am thinking about focusrite scarlett 2i2. Is it a good option to buy ?

It depends on what you need.
Before buying an audio interface ask yourself:
How many instruments and microphones am I going to record?
Firewire, usb, thunderbolt ect.?
As for brand I'd do research and find out what you think will fit in your studio the best. Every studio is different so everything you need will be different from maybe what I needed or someone else.

I've got the Scarlett 2i2 at the moment...
It does what it's supposed to do and I've had no major issues (there was a small nightmare with a windows security update - I reinstalled the drivers from Focusrite - problem solved).
The Scarlett plugins it comes with are also pretty usable...

I would make sure 2in/2out will be enough for you though...
I'm looking at switching sometime this year to an interface with more ins/outs and 2 headphone outputs (much easier if you're going to 'work' with others).

Also... The 2i2 has no MIDI in&out... Again, might not be a problem initially but worth bearing in mind.

I'm probably going for the Steinberg UR44 (4 mic pres, 2 line ins, main outs (stereo obvs) + 4 line outs, MIDI I/o & 2 headphone outs (and a DSP chip)

the UR22 is 2in 2out like the Scarlett but also has MIDI I/o...

hope it helps.

Last edited:
The Scarlett is solid (and there's also the 2i4 if you need that MIDI i/o) enough - you'll have to spend quite a bit more money in order to get something more than marginally better, quality-wise.

The Scarlett is solid (and there's also the 2i4 if you need that MIDI i/o) enough - you'll have to spend quite a bit more money in order to get something more than marginally better, quality-wise.

If 2 inputs is definitely enough for you, I'd go with this over the 2i2... It's only marginally more...

The steinberg AI is also known for their quality amps. There were driver issues in the past so it would probably be good to check if there are still driver issues with whatever OS your running with.
What krushing says is right. The rpo AIs named by him or others on the forum here are RME, Apogee, Apollo, among others. They start at 500 bucks. Motu get's mentioned as semi pro sometimes as well. They have some cheaper ones.

Back