Anyone use Sonic Academy?

Yumid

site I found with looooads of tutorial videos on it, mainly the ones I'm interested in are the 4-6 hour production sessions. They specialize in electronic music, almost every sub genre you could want is on there.

Subscription isn't cheap, 60 bucks for silver and 160 ish for gold annually. Just curious if anyone knows where there is a list of what extra you get for gold? Or if any subscribers here can just tell me based off experience of getting gold? All I'm really interested in is the video content so I'm probably going to go with silver but I'm just curious.

It says loops and samples on the site but doesnt give a description of what kind. I doubt its worth it for the extra 100 bucks if its just samples and loops.

Also says you get to keep a selection of videos for download when you get gold but it doesnt tell you which videos. If I'm paying an extra 100 bucks I want details about what I get haha.

link
Subscriber Benefits

edit- just realized silver is 50 every 3 months not yearly. might be better to just get gold if ill have this for awhile. Don't know if i will though, ill cover all those vids in 3 months.

Last edited:
I don't really know anything about sonic academy.. But I mean. There are so many good tutorials that are free, and at some point I think that watching a bunch of random people putting up tracks that don't even sound so great, or is completely different than the type of music you want to create, stops being useful.

I find it much better to spend the time you'd spend looking at a video about making music, to actually make music of your own. Finding something that works for you personally is much more important than trying to work in a way that someone else is doing.

The reward of finding something that really clicks with you, that moment of realisation that this is how I should've done all along won't come from a tutorial video in my opinion. You might get an idea or 2,but hardly anything you couldn't find by looking at free ones.

I know that this reply really had nothing to do with sonic academy but I just wanted to say this anyway. :P

I don't really know anything about sonic academy.. But I mean. There are so many good tutorials that are free, and at some point I think that watching a bunch of random people putting up tracks that don't even sound so great, or is completely different than the type of music you want to create, stops being useful.

I find it much better to spend the time you'd spend looking at a video about making music, to actually make music of your own. Finding something that works for you personally is much more important than trying to work in a way that someone else is doing.

The reward of finding something that really clicks with you, that moment of realisation that this is how I should've done all along won't come from a tutorial video in my opinion. You might get an idea or 2,but hardly anything you couldn't find by looking at free ones.

I know that this reply really had nothing to do with sonic academy but I just wanted to say this anyway. :P

The free tutorials out there dont compare on any level to the paid tutorials. Check out this one for example, youll be able to watch the track play through for free.

How to Make Peak Time Trance using Ableton Live - How To Sound Like Sean Tyas, Agnelli & Nelson, Super8

Thats a GOOD track man..I could picture it being on a radio show at that quality right there. I think youll be interested in that. Kind of newer psy trance. They completely break it down note by note. 7 hour long series. You will never find tracks of that quality for free on youtube as a walkthrough. Its not about watching them to copy..its watching them to practice.

A songs no different then anything you build. Compare it to an ikea bed. You aren't gonna be able to put it together without the instructions until you put it together with the instructions a few times. Im not gonna be the type of producer who blindly messes around with their DAW for 3-4 years before something starts to click. The industry is moving too fast, nobody has time for that haha. Im streamlining the process.

Figuring out how to do it then working out the kinks. Not gonna spend time working out kinks I dont have to. But thats just me.

Keep in mind i do write at least a new song a week..its all for practice. At this point in my learning taking too long on one song is counter productive. Put one together quick, move on to the next. Its not like any are gonna be released..its just training my song writing abilities.

IF youtube had tutorials up to the standard i want I wouldnt be paying for Sonic, but youtube will never compare to the stuff on Sonic. Its a completely different level of tutorial. Its like learning from a professor versus learning from a friend.

Last edited:
I hear what you're saying. I didn't mean to say that it's a bad idea to watch tutorials, obviously I understand that you need to pick stuff up from somewhere.. just that, I haven't found much use for tutorials other than my own DAW specific ones going through certain functions and what not. I'd rather bounce ideas with some friends. (all though there aren't many who produce) and I just can't seem to find a better alternative than to actually sit there, and really play with the instruments that I've got. Not just randomly pulling stuff to see what happens, but to teach myself what each of them do and how they affect different stuff and how I can implement that into my own productions.. But that's just me. :)

Another problem I seem to have with tutorials is I can hardly ever find anything that suits my music anyway.. so it just gets a little daunting watching some people make music that is crap. Going through a technique to make a sound this and that, yeah, great, except it sucks. :P

I don't want to turn this thread of yours into another one of our little debates.. just wanted to share my opinion. I have had paid subscriptions on Groove 3 and what not in the past, they can be useful, but I'm not sure if I was actually taught much that I wouldn't have figured out on my own anyway.

Last edited:
I don't want to turn this thread of yours into another one of our little debates.. just wanted to share my opinion. I have had paid subscriptions on Groove 3 and what not in the past, they can be useful, but I'm not sure if I was actually taught much that I wouldn't have figured out on my own anyway.

hahaha that made me laugh. I forgot we even got in debates in the past. I didnt even have that in mind when I replied, I just had a lot to say I guess. I know you werent trying to tell me its wrong, I just had a longer than average response to it.

I have such a diverse taste in music that I still dont really know what I am going to fall into. So I'm hoping to just watch workflows and examples from a ton of different stuff and then eventually mould my own style out of it. As far as watching Daw specific tutorials, I have given up on that. Pro Tools isn't an internet community friendly DAW. I dont even care what DAW plays host in my tutorials. I know PT good enough now that whenever they do anything I get the pro tools workflow visual in my head regardless.

That's alright I was just making sure I wasn't being misunderstood. :P

Maybe that's the difference then. I have been doing this for a pretty long time and at some point, progress just seems to come in much smaller quantities and way less frequent than they used to. I've got a pretty diverse style as well, all though it all falls under a much wider category that I would like to call "with feeling" xD

As far as those DAW specific tutorials, what I am looking for in those is just getting to know every nook and cranny of the software, not to actually look at people produce music in that DAW. I am working with Cubase, and the web is not exactly flooded with information about it that I find useful for my productions.

Back