Any useful books for producing?

axwellmix

I have a kindle and I like to read while traveling and in down time when I can't be on the computer or using FL. I usually read fiction and physcology but I think it would be very useful to read about producing and It's something I would enjoy reading about. Are there any good books for producing EDM (House, dnb, deep house mostly) and advanced keyboard playing/techniques?

Any recommendations or books that are a must read for producing or music (theory possibly) in general would be great!

Cheers! :D

Last edited:
It depends on what you mean by the term "producing." For many/most folks here, "producing" is making hip-hop/rap tracks, which is actually one part of producing.

There are a number of great books on the music business, on dealing with artists, books with interviews with outstanding/famous producers, on arranging, orchestration, general theory, and keyboard technique. Also books on other skills like sight-singing. It all depends on what/which skills you want to hone (and if those specific skills lend themselves to learning by reading, rather than doing), and on what your definitions for producer, producing, and production are...

GJ

Well... producing/mixing EDM and House music. I want books on anything to do with those. No need to be an *******.

Last edited:
Last edited:
For mixing- Mixing Secrets by Mike Senior

Production- Music theory for computer musicians
The Dance Music Manual

Piano- Hanon the Virtuoso Pianist (a ton of really good finger exercises)
The complete book of scales, chords, arpeggios & cadences

Any Music theory book
Rhythm Books

All musical knowledge is relative

Online tutorials are really helpful as well

Last edited:
Hey ********, I wasn't being an ******, I was asking you for appropriate information in order to answer your question accurately. No need to fly off the handle calling people that are trying to help you "******," ********.

GJ

I learned a lot from Ray Badness' Drum Programming: A Complete Guide to Program and Think Like a Drummer and Fred Welsh's Welsh's Synthesizer cookbook. Both are on amazon.

The Welsh/Synth Cookbook is definitely a good one for synth heads and electronic music enthusiasts, and anyone looking for an analog foundation with a lot of principles that apply to sound in general (not just synthesis).

GJ

Not really a "producer manual" but very inspiring. How Music Works is David Byrne's remarkable and buoyant celebration of a subject he's spent a lifetime thinking about. He explains how profoundly music is shaped by its time and place, and how the advent of recording technology forever changed our relationship to playing, performing, and listening to music.

If I want to be a producer what kind of books do I have to read? Actually I was not interested about it before . But I have some inspiration in it. I don't know my goal as well. However if I follow producer or reading this kind of book, How long it will take to be a successful producer . Help needed

Read Creativity by Osho, it may not directly teach you production technique but it'll blow your mind on what it means to be a creator and how to find joy in your work which will in turn improve your relationship with your art. Highly highly recommend.

Back