Any Toronto Producers?!?!?

hey im from toronto. im still farely new to producing and trying to learn everything i can when it comes to producing. how long have u been producing?

Nice bro, that's a good look.
I've been producing for about 3 years but I didn't really take it serious until about a year ago.

I kind of started as a hobby and something I loved to do, but with the better I got, the more I wanted to learn and about a year ago got really into it again.

I use Maschine and Ableton Live

What about you?
What type of music you producing?

hey im from TDOT too. man, i really love the art of producing but the stuff is hard and im not looking to give up ever. Do u have experience in FL studio. I need help with a few things. U know anyone who could help? im pretty new. Started about two years ago but didnt take it serious till last year december. Would very much appreciate some help.

Alright sick, I added you both as friends on FP, PM me when you guys get the chance.
We should definetely stay in touch for music.
Toronto is hot right now, a lot of good talent, not to mention we have the 3 best producers in the game right now lol
Boi1Da, 40, and T-Minus.

I have a bit of experience in FL, it's what I stared off using. But a lot of things are applied across all DAW's. So maybe I can help you out with some things for sure. PM me and we'll see where I can help you.

What type of beats do you make?
What are your weak vs strong points?
Have you made any beats yet?

I make a lot of hip hop beats, I've learned music theory, getting better and I play piano, getting better at that too.
My strong points would be melodies and chord progressions, because I know my theory pretty well.
I'm also good at adding samples and little accents to my production, effects and stuff like that.

My weak point would be mixing and mastering, as it's an art in itself. And probably my drum programming, but that's gotten a lot better, and it's only really with getting realistic drums and selecting the proper drum sound for the mix.

From Toronto too. Well, really from Pickering but I go to school in Toronto. I've also been doing production as a hobby for like 3 years. Decided to take it seriously a few months ago and actually try and learn something and become better.

I definitely agree with you though, the talent in Toronto is blooming like crazy right now (Beyond Drake). That's a reason why I wanna seriously learn a lot and turn it from a 'hobby' into something serious.

Right now I'm in the process of learning music theory, mainly through videos and I've been reading The Complete Idiot's Guide to Music Theory. I haven't been able to dedicate as much time as I'd like to since I go to school so time is scarce as hell. How did you learn music theory?

I've been using Reason for the past while. I've been trying to make the transition to Logic Pro because it's powerful but I somehow find myself always going back to Reason. I guess it's meant to be, and with Reason 7 coming out I guess they're stepping up. I make any kind of music that I feel like making at the time, hip-hop, R&B, pop, whatever. Mainly hip-hop though.

I find one of my weaknesses is definitely completing a beat. I lose motivation on my current project and end up just starting something new. I'm also in the midst of learning how to sample, since right now I'm mainly doing chords.

I basically make hip hop beats and trying to do sampling as well. u know the kanye west style of production. Not only do i want to produce but to take it as far as Engineering but man, the production isn't a joke at all so i wonder how engineering will be like. My strong points are mainly the drums and the melody. I dont play piano whatsoever but i manage to come up with sick melodies after struggling through the keys. i'm going to be signing up for keyboard lessons this summer and see where i can go with that. I appreciate your offer to help man.

From Toronto too. Well, really from Pickering but I go to school in Toronto. I've also been doing production as a hobby for like 3 years. Decided to take it seriously a few months ago and actually try and learn something and become better.

I definitely agree with you though, the talent in Toronto is blooming like crazy right now (Beyond Drake). That's a reason why I wanna seriously learn a lot and turn it from a 'hobby' into something serious.

Right now I'm in the process of learning music theory, mainly through videos and I've been reading The Complete Idiot's Guide to Music Theory. I haven't been able to dedicate as much time as I'd like to since I go to school so time is scarce as hell. How did you learn music theory?

I've been using Reason for the past while. I've been trying to make the transition to Logic Pro because it's powerful but I somehow find myself always going back to Reason. I guess it's meant to be, and with Reason 7 coming out I guess they're stepping up. I make any kind of music that I feel like making at the time, hip-hop, R&B, pop, whatever. Mainly hip-hop though.

I find one of my weaknesses is definitely completing a beat. I lose motivation on my current project and end up just starting something new. I'm also in the midst of learning how to sample, since right now I'm mainly doing chords.

Toronto has tons of talent for sure, I don't know if any of you guys got to check Battle of the Beatmakers that's in Toronto. A lot of good talent coming through.

I learned all of my music theory through books and videos and picking people's brains. I started from the basics and worked my way from there. There's a member of this site. I'm sure you've seen him before, named BandCoach and any time I was learning a new part of theory I'd ask him a ton of questions to help me figure things out and really understand. I'm sure there had been times where I'd annoy him but he always came through lol
I learned:
notes
intervals
major scales
minor scales
key signatures
chords
circle of fifths
modes
modulation vs transposing
7th and 9th chords
and more...

now I'm kind of just exploring and learning all kinds of things like finger speed and left hand independence.

i used to not finish beats too, kind of just make like a nice 8 bar loop that could be like a hook or for half of a verse but trust me that's no good. Even if the best is just basic always try and complete it.
Learning song structure and transitions is key.
Maybe you need to take more breaks when u make ur beats.

Nice bro, that's a good look.
I've been producing for about 3 years but I didn't really take it serious until about a year ago.

I kind of started as a hobby and something I loved to do, but with the better I got, the more I wanted to learn and about a year ago got really into it again.

I use Maschine and Ableton Live

What about you?
What type of music you producing?

i use fl studio and recently bought akai mpk mini and im still trying to figure it out. i like to produce hiphop and pop music. This may im taking a course at centennial college on music producing so im tryin to get very serious about producing. Also what part of toronto do u live in? i live around the danforth area and about 10 min from downtown

Hamilton noob here, been lurking for a few months after I started learning FL studio. Signed up because of this thread aha.

Hip Hop is what I love and plan on learning first, the rest will follow.

My music theory was lost during high school, and it's not coming back easily.

Good looking guys, well now we all know a few more heads from the city.

Anything I have to offer I'll let you know, and look out for battle of the Beatmakerz 2013 if the have one this year, you can get a ton of exposure there, and set your career off.

Hey There,

I'm not from TO... Buffalo, NY, USA, a few hours south from you guys. I love Toronto; great city. Are there still any (vinyl) record shops up there?

GJ

Hey There,

I'm not from TO... Buffalo, NY, USA, a few hours south from you guys. I love Toronto; great city. Are there still any (vinyl) record shops up there?

GJ

What up?

Yea for sure we do, they're like little hidden spots though.
We have Sunrise Records and Play da Record where you can find some good vinyl.

But there are some small more exclusive shops where they have way more selection and more unique records.
I'ts on Queen St. West, can't remember the name but you could find it.

I'm not much of a digger though myself, something I want to get into though a bit more

I've added all of you guys as contatcs, holler if anything still.
Maybe post some beats if you guys have anything finshed

Hey bro, I'm from Toronto. I think its amazing the amount of hot producers we already have and the amount of ones we have coming up!

Alright cool, a lot more heads then I would have thought.
Anyone doing anything new? Any projetcs thery're working on?

Would you guys say this is more of a hobby? or you guys striving for a career?
and how long you guys been doing your thing?

I know a lot of times you'll get dudes saying they're producers but they just started making beats and once they realize that it's not as easy as they thought, they quickly change their mind.

Anyone who's serious should look to help each other out, Toronto is getting a good look now.

I was out last night for an event downtown "Turned Up" part hosted by Dj Drama
Drake ended up showing up
few players from the Knicks, since we're playing them tonight in ball
Action Bronson

and this was just a regualr night in the city, lots of opportunity still lets make it happen, the more people you know the better.

Back