Another newbie i know right lol

KD Will

Hey whats up gents and i presume some ladies. New to the producing side of the game. Used to rap (for fun of course) in a friends home studio but wasn't really to into it. So far i have purchased a few books one being home studio recording for dummies which some of it i knew. I also purchased a music theory book from the same company since i want to be sure i'm on the right track and know more about the craft. I played the trumpet for about 4 years when i was younger but i dont really remember much about reading sheet music and all of that. Right now i have a just a few pieces of equipment besides my DAW (which is Presonus Studio 1) i have my audio interface, my mic, mic stand and pop filter, and i have an akai mini mkII. I have already learned quite a few things from reading books and watching youtube videos. I can make simple stuff as of now but i am continuing to learn as i go. I did want to get some opinions from here though. One thing i would like to know in you guys'/girls' opinions which DAW is the easiest and most beginner friendly. My DAW came with the equipment so if there is something a little easier to make full beats on that could sway me. I also wanted to know if there anything that is as user friendly as the Maschine MKIII. I've watched quite a few videos of the the MKIII and the Akai Professional MPC Studio and to me the maschine looks a little easier to use and has better pads but thats from what i have seen. Thanks i look forward to posting and reading everything i can.

Welcome and I'm one of few real women at FP, if you played trumpet don't quit. There is no easiest or hardest DAW as they all have a learning curve and you should've skipped theory books as learning any instrument comes w/theory and you should skip the Akai MPK Mini due to the build and keys. Maschine isn't standalone meaning you can't use it without a computer.

Last edited:
I haven't played since about 2002 i'm a bit past rusty ha ha. I got the music theory just as a slight intro to musical compositions and such not so much for any instrument. I do plan on trying to learn some piano though in the future. And i know the Maschine isnt standalone as i would/will be using my laptop. The MPC Studio i was referring to isnt the big standalone studio version but the smaller version and i don't think it is a standalone either but i could be wrong. Have you used either one?

Back