Advice for A Clueless Aspiring Musician

johnjohnfk

Hey everyone!

I hope I am not breaking any etiquette rules by posting here, but I would greatly appreciate your help in answering a few questions I have. Like many others, I am a musician and aspiring recording artist, and I would like to know:

1. Do I really need an agent nowadays to market myself? How large of a following do I need before securing an agent makes sense?
2. Without the help of an agent, how do starting artists seek out their initial gigs? I am relatively new to the business aspect of the craft, so I have yet to develop a substantial gig/venue network.
3. Has anyone used online venue-booking sites with any notable success? I have read a few "testimonials," but I want to hear thoughts from people on this forum.

I appreciate any and all help. Thank you all so much!

Best,
John

1. I wouldn't worry about an agent this early in your career. When you need someone to help you manage your music biz, you'll know it.

2. Make a demo CD (I still prefer CD because you can write your contact info directly on the CD, or at least the sleeve makes for a large area for clear info). 3-5 songs should do. Take it to places in your area that feature live music and tell them you want gigs. BTW, are you talking about solo acoustic guitar? piano? DJ?

3. Never used a booking site. I've always contacted booking agents in person, by phone, or by direct email.

you don't need an agent.. you just need music that people like and that stands out.. that's how you get a large following etc etc

Whats the point of a manager if you have nothing to manage?
You need to create opportunities first, then once you have an abundance of opportunities (more things to do than time to do them) THEN you get a manager, which at that case, a manager will be trying to find you.

As for securing gigs, if you play an instrument, how you do it is go to lots of jams, network your ass off, sub in bands for other musicians, do open mike nights, shit like that. If you're good and people think you'r a nice guy, you'll get a gig or two after awhile.
If you are a "DAW-ist" (lol), then you have to network, make hot enough tracks that people want to hear. Maybe S a D or something, I dunno.

Last edited:
Hey everyone!

I hope I am not breaking any etiquette rules by posting here, but I would greatly appreciate your help in answering a few questions I have. Like many others, I am a musician and aspiring recording artist, and I would like to know:

1. Do I really need an agent nowadays to market myself? How large of a following do I need before securing an agent makes sense?
2. Without the help of an agent, how do starting artists seek out their initial gigs? I am relatively new to the business aspect of the craft, so I have yet to develop a substantial gig/venue network.
3. Has anyone used online venue-booking sites with any notable success? I have read a few "testimonials," but I want to hear thoughts from people on this forum.

I appreciate any and all help. Thank you all so much!

Best,
John

1. No, you don't need an agent, but they can be useful. How big of a following do you need? Big enough to support you and the fee's of your agent.
2. Most start locally, connecting with other gigging artists in their area.
3. Yes, some work better than others.

Last edited:
Back