Advice For Brand New Producer

CarboardMIKE

Hey guys,

I am a brand new producer that literally knows nothing about the craft at this point. My main questions is where should I start? I want to learn everything and eventually become a great producer in a couple of years. I willing to put in the work but my issues is I do not want to waste my time on learning ways that are not benefcial to me. So what is the most effective and efficient resource or way of learning about music producing and learning how to do things to allow me to create. (already decided i am going to be using the DAW of FL studio or maybe even pro tools)

The best way to learn is to jump right in. Resources are forums like Future Producers, YouTube and magazines. Start with YouTube, then everything will take shape. When I started out I only had forums, magazines and a few random videos online. YouTube I can honestly say is boss for learning anything, really.

I started straight away by using any software I could get my hands on. I believe my first DAW was Cubasis 32VST. Then Cubase, Reason 1, Pro Tools. I just dabbled in everything until I found home.

Trial and error. Experimentation and a beer (set on a different surface to your gear).
It'll take time and progress comes both lightning fast and painfully slow. Peaks and troughs.
You'll find a workflow that suits you. Then you'll change it.
You'll find your own style. Then it'll evolve.
Sometimes you'll make something intense and complex. Intricate.
Sometimes it'll be hugely simple and just as intense. Or very laid back.
Stay fluid. Have a beer. Enjoy it.

Yeah I would agree with the idea of trial and error and experimenting. One thing I would say though, don't expect to become a great producer in just a couple years. I felt the same way you did, and after 8 years, I realize how bad I was even six years in. It will take a long time to get your feet underneath you

Since you mention not wanting to waste time learning things that don't benefit you, don't just go by any ol' video on YouTube.. Or post on Future Producers.. Be sure that your information sources are actually legitimate or you may end up wasting years forming bad habits. Get some great foundation knowledge from a book or a notable "producer." A lot of times talented beat makers that are wanting to increase their capitol will release paid material/guides. These are usually pretty high quality, and I recommend them.

Everything they said. And I would get a notebook and list the type of songs you like. Then get on youtube & google find out how to make songs like that. But find a DAW or sampler you like and master it.

Get the instruments and software that producers use, that's the first step. Check out Ableton Push!

[video]https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLoh4MB-kbBmLtFjKLsCD7OLl5ua2cvQQS[/video]
[video]https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLoh4MB-kbBmLOEU-3jHrJg2gFRtWLZD_-[/video]

Hey guys,

I am a brand new producer that literally knows nothing about the craft at this point. My main questions is where should I start? I want to learn everything and eventually become a great producer in a couple of years. I willing to put in the work but my issues is I do not want to waste my time on learning ways that are not benefcial to me. So what is the most effective and efficient resource or way of learning about music producing and learning how to do things to allow me to create. (already decided i am going to be using the DAW of FL studio or maybe even pro tools)

Back