Absolute beginning.

NewWorldKing

I want to get into making electronic music. I have no real experience with music except for some piano way back in the 5th grade. I’ve done some research on music production and already picked my DAW. I’ve played around with it a bit but still feel lost. I’m not sure what I should be focusing on learning to see progression. I’ve done some research on compression, synths, and some other production jargon. Again it all seems very foreign to me. I want to take this very seriously and learn as much as I can. So I was hoping I could get some pointers or knowledge on where you can learn all this?

Last edited:
you can learn a lot on this forum. You can just read conversations or get involved and ask/answer questions, collaborate with other artists, and just put in the work. You can watch tutorial lessons too (I have some on my website) but it's best to use this forum for connecting with other producers and learning. welcome to the site.

The great thing is that nowadays you can watch others make music on YouTube and get a basic idea of how it's done. When I started learning, I didn't have the internet. I stared at the DAW for 6 months before I could do anything. I'd say search for some vidoes about your DAW. You'll get a rough idea about how to use samples for drums, how to use instruments and effects, etc. Then you can try to do something yourself and you'll get a ton of questions because even though you've kind of seen how it's done you don't really understand anything yet. Then you can start searching for answers on the internet. There's so much information out there. Some things will be difficult and frustrating to understand. Might take some time so be patient.

What DAW did you get?

Welcome and if you have piano experience keep it going and only focus on what is necessary to your development.

Great advice!

The great thing is that nowadays you can watch others make music on YouTube and get a basic idea of how it's done. When I started learning, I didn't have the internet. I stared at the DAW for 6 months before I could do anything. I'd say search for some vidoes about your DAW. You'll get a rough idea about how to use samples for drums, how to use instruments and effects, etc. Then you can try to do something yourself and you'll get a ton of questions because even though you've kind of seen how it's done you don't really understand anything yet. Then you can start searching for answers on the internet. There's so much information out there. Some things will be difficult and frustrating to understand. Might take some time so be patient.

What DAW did you get?

Hey thanks for the great advice! As for my DAW I have Fruity loops. Just the standard. As you said a lot of things don’t make sense. Some specifics would be Synths in general. I watched a couple videos on it and it’s functions. Another thing would be mixing and how decibels play an effect (this coencides with synthesizer). Then the rest of my questions I think come from learning my DAW. These questions would be what drum kits to use or how to add wobble for dubstep. As much as I want to make my own unique sound, I know I need to get it down first.

Thank you!

Hey man thanks for the great advice. I’ll definitely watch your tutorials. (Probably tonight.) Thank you again.

Youtube is your friend, and forums like these. I would say start with the basics and learn your DAW to where your comfortable making a track. Good luck!

Hey there. This is exosting, but very interesting! Long journey probably you will have. Guys gave you right advice, watch and learn youtube tutorials.
I remember how I started with FL, but then shifted to Ableton, due to many useful features. I wish you good luck on your way my friend.

Back