About To Get Started

JMD_Music

I'll be moving into a new apartment soon and when that happens, I'll be learning to produce. I've already found someone to coach me and teach me Ableton.

I have anew Macbook and just ordered some Sennheiser HD8 headphones. I already have an M-Audio 49 Keystation, but wasn't sure if I should upgrade to a better midi keyboard? Any suggestions?

I don't plan on getting speakers at the current moment until I know if my future roomates would have an issue with them.

I'm really excited to finally get started. I want to produce EDM and Pop music. I also plan to start DJ lessons once I get the hang of producing.

Om 19
m favorite producers are
flying lotus
thunder cat
dj an ten nah
russ liquid
shpongle,
thriwftworks,
the list goings on. you make good shit. I admire you. You make good shit, you make good shit go round. karma and good shit is good shit

Welcome, JMD! I like your enthusiasm. ;)

What is Ableton like? I've never used it, but I hear some people like it a lot.

I've never liked the feel of M-Audio keyboards. I tried a handful and found them kludgy. But two disclosures: first, I haven't shopped for a midi keyboard in years, and second, I was looking for something more for a full piano-like experience than for tracking the midi for a simple melody line. For that purpose, I'd think most any midi controller would suffice.

Headphones and speakers sound completely different. And your music needs to sound good on both. Another thing to consider is that speakers don't necessarily have to be played loud, certainly not all the time. I don't have roommates, but I do share walls with neighbors. They complain when my music is loud, particularly with the subs on and particularly at night. So I compose at a lower volume on speakers during the day, or on headphones at night. And once the song feels like it is coming together, I briefly mix on speakers with louder volume during the day.

Have you started any songs yet? How are they coming along?

I use logic but ableton is just as good. I used it for a bit but just found logic easier to understand because i once worked on garageband and both interfaces are very similar.

I had originally planned to use Logic, but Ableton is better for EDM and I plan to DJ as well. so i'd rather just Ableton for everything.

Does that mean you're paying an online mentor? I'm not following.

I've been using Pro Tools for years. And I already own it. Virtually nobody uses it in electronic music production, though it's the standard for recording studios.

Logic looks super neat, very quick to work in, and the built in plugins and synth look great. But ... I'm a PC guy.

I've heard good things about Ableton and Studio One. I'd consider switching. But Cubase and FL Studio don't impress me.

The question is ... is workflow better in these other alternatives? Faster to create music? Or is it simply that everybody else can't afford Pro Tools? I know the others come with a lot more stock plugins and instruments, but I've been building up my collection of plugins and instruments for years. I've got all the basics covered and then some.

If Pro Tools sounds better or offers better pro features, maybe it's unpopular because of the price? Or the difficult learning curve? If so, knowing that I already own it and know how to use it, I shouldn't switch. But if composing is easier and faster in Ableton without losing quality, switching could be good for me.

Hmm. Sounds expensive. But I suppose it could pay off. Let me know how it goes. I'd like to try the same thing if you recommend it.

Are you waiting to move into a new apartment to begin?

To me, 49 keys would feel suffocating. I love being able to play big chords, to hear a synth patch in multiple registers with minimal fuss, to be able to play a more complex performance.

But ... piano was my first instrument. And my midi-controller has 88 graded hammer-action keys. I'd be losing more than just size if I went to a simpler controller.

I think if someone isn't a piano player and just wants to record simpler synth lead lines, bass lines, pads, etc., 49 key is sufficient. It's not super cramped: you have a few octaves. It's enough for a narrower-register instrument, which is basically everything except the piano.

Go to a Guitar Center and play with the keyboards. Pay attention to the feel and touch. See what you enjoy playing, and what feels spongy and gross. Make a mental note of the brands you like the touch of, and buy the 49-key version of that.

Personally, I'm not interested in a keyboard with soundbanks, filters, processing, etc. It's just wasted money since my computer has greater brawn and higher fidelity samples and modeling than any keyboard. Certainly any keyboard under $2,000. I just prefer a decent midi controller, save the rest for DSP.

Back