about ears protection

mariuspop

Hi there,
Ive seen this post which is really interesting,

futureproducers(dot)com/forums/production-techniques/getting-started/i-give-you-these-ten-newbie-commandments-238810

but there is something that i do not really understand.

How to protect your ears?
How much time should one use the headset? and what would be the 'amount of accepted sound' in terms of decibels?
Thank you.

Why would you want to know the maximum ammount of db before causing your ears to bleed if you can do all the process at a low volume?

It was just a general question. There is nothing special about it.
However different bits of the sound have different amplitudes, therefore sometimes you have to listen a bit loud in order to understand how they blend together.

If you get tinnitus, make the ringing noise in your head as loud as you can without thinking your ear drums will pop, you can then indefinitely listen to loud music, without ringing of the ear, or saying huh, what, excuse me but talking loudly!

80db = 4Hours
60db = whole life
:4theloveofgod:

workplace guidelines in the USA/Europe and Australia all state that 85dBSPL gives you an 8 hour exposure before hearing loss begins. Most research on the subject concurs that 83-85dBSPL is the upper limit for safe working over a continuous 8 hour period.

The exposure researched has mostly been exposure to industrial noise, but there have been significant studies into live music venues and recording/mix/mastering studios. All come to the same conclusion that exposure to SPL above 85 dB can be damaging over extended periods

a good guide: for every 6dBSPL increase halve the time of exposure, for every 6dBSPL decrease double the time of exposure, i.e.

dBSPL levelmaximum
continuous
exposure
time
14910 seconds
14320 seconds
13741 seconds
1311 minute 22 seconds
1253 minutes 45 seconds
1197 minutes 30 seconds
11315 minutes
10730 minutes
1011 hour
952 hours
894 hours
838 hours
7716 hours
7132 hours
6564 hours
59128 hours
53256 hours
the bolded levels indicate those that are (in most cases) prohibited by law to be exposed to without protection
256 hours is almost 11 days without a break; i.e anything below 83dBSPL should be considered as being unable to have long term damage.

The levels indicated in the table are for unprotected exposure. With protection you extend your exposure time by whatever rating the protection provides: doubling for every 6dB decrease in exposure

i.e. a set of ear plugs that provide a 20dBSPL reduction (across the frequency range of that protection) will give you an effective 10 times exposure level; with protection exposure to 101dBSPL (the level of most concerts) increases from 1 hour to 10 hours

effective protection is as simple as buying these Earasers musicians high fidelity earplugs hearing protection

Last edited:
If you get tinnitus, make the ringing noise in your head as loud as you can without thinking your ear drums will pop, you can then indefinitely listen to loud music, without ringing of the ear, or saying huh, what, excuse me but talking loudly!

this is irresponsible advice and could lead to some folks actually completely compromising their hearing.

And whilst Beethoven lost his hearing, it was not due to exposure to high spl but as a direct result of tertiary syphilis. At stage 3 it begins to cause holes in the structure of the brain (it is a virus and so is able to have a direct effect on the body if untreated.

In Beethoven's case it attacked his auditory cortex (Scott Joplin also had tertiary syphilis but he just ended up with dementia as it attacked a different part of his brain).

I'm not sure if its tinitus i have but i was working on my first beat last week and my right headphone broke so like a normal person would do i carry on making the mix with just the left ear working with the aim of just ordering a new pair in the morning, before you know it the mix is done
& i take the headphones of to go sleep & BOOM next morning my left ear has a weird sound that sounds like i've been placed in a completely silent room and it hasn't stopped since, any ideas ?

certainly some damage to your hearing

talk to your doctor or audiologist for a more definitive diagnosis

Back