Ableton vs. FL Studio

I first started using FL Studio and then eventually switched over to Ableton. Ableton Vs. FL Studio • Which To Choose - Ableton or FL Studio actually has a great overview of the two. I eventually switched over to Ableton primarily due to the session view and the ability to use it live.

I do love FL's reverb plugin though.

I think it's now safe to say that both are more than capable of producing some of the greatest tracks out on the market right now. What makes it work is a competent and artistic person who can create a picture using sound. Ugh. I love music :-)

I think it's now safe to say that both are more than capable of producing some of the greatest tracks out on the market right now. What makes it work is a competent and artistic person who can create a picture using sound. Ugh. I love music :-)

I know. All this DAW vs. DAW talk is a moot point. Most systems are going to be able to produce beautiful music. It's all in the user. Just buy one and start learning it. I doubt you could tell Porter Robinson to make a tune in Ableton, but in FL he makes awesome tunes. It's all about what you are used to

I first started using FL Studio and then eventually switched over to Ableton. Ableton Vs. FL Studio • Which To Choose - Ableton or FL Studio actually has a great overview of the two. I eventually switched over to Ableton primarily due to the session view and the ability to use it live.

I do love FL's reverb plugin though.

Amen to that. But I believe this argument has been settled though. Only a beginner or a a fan that is way too involved in the production process would say something absent minded as "oh this beat is better because DAW 1 is better". How? Lol

Amen to that. But I believe this argument has been settled though. Only a beginner or a a fan that is way too involved in the production process would say something absent minded as "oh this beat is better because DAW 1 is better". How? Lol

Haha exactly. I do see that Reason kind of has it's own sound, but other than that everyone uses the same VSTs and shit. It's all in the artist IMO

I use fl studio more because I've been with it for 4 years. I guess both have their pros and cons, but what's important is the features provided for a specific genre. Like if you are working with orchestral music, features like multiple time signatures and tempo change (automations) are good.

I originally started with FL Studio, used it for abouth 2 months, it was nice to discover how some things work and stuff like that.

Then i started messing around with Ableton 9. At first I didn't liked it. That warp shit was really pissing me off. But then one day I finally learned how to warp a song. After that I never opened FL studio again.
Man, at least to me, ableton sound so much "raw". Everything I made on FL Studio looked like a ****ing eletronic music, and that's not what I wanted.
With Live i can get the sound that I expect to get, and that's it.

I originally started with FL Studio, used it for abouth 2 months, it was nice to discover how some things work and stuff like that.

Then i started messing around with Ableton 9. At first I didn't liked it. That warp shit was really pissing me off. But then one day I finally learned how to warp a song. After that I never opened FL studio again.
Man, at least to me, ableton sound so much "raw". Everything I made on FL Studio looked like a ****ing eletronic music, and that's not what I wanted.
With Live i can get the sound that I expect to get, and that's it.

Are you just referring to how the project files looked, or actual sound? I do not like the colors of FL studio and that's one of my biggest gripes with it.

Which software would u say are the easiest one to learn?

Short answer: Live and/or FL(i know, its not an answer you might be looking for. But thats my suggestion:offtopic:.. also, if u read the manuals for the easiest way into the mind of the daws)

Long Answer:
I started with Cubase, Reason and FL(together) and jumped to Live from version 5. This made Live my best GF and FL and the rest bootycalls..I slowly lost touch with Cubase.. But am now polygamous with the Live and the rest.. (Lenny Face)
I found Live easier..(though i had a decent understanding of how daws work by then, thanks to folling round with all the afore mentioned softwares, i guess) But it was back then, ages/eons ago..I could do stuff that i couldnt imagine, basically, because i am dumb, but Live opened a plethora of unseen opportunities back then..
Now its a different case with youtube and what have you, to give you a solid starting point easily. I still think Live is easier to begin, just for the reason that,
Fl has this thing with channels, which, might seem confusing at first, but its ok, once your head gets around to it. (Control L maybe your BFF in FL)
btw, i must add, i learned a lot about basic synthesis, by using Reason. No particular 'reason' (no pun), but the fact that all the modules look(ed) like hardware synths. Basic things like, ADSR and basic mapping clicked when i went through those. Nowadays, the 3rd party softsynths like Sylenth, pretty much do the same, albiet, maybe easier.
Live kicks ass easily when it comes to routing. (though like i said, most of the things could be done on fl once you get the hang of it...). Its more hands on, in my opinion, at least in this aspect...

So my verdict/suggestion,, Start with both, keep one week aside for pure learning.. read the manual with the daw open. 4 (or 2) hours of each day of the said week, to try the manuel and the corresponding daw, spend time on youtube clearing the things that you have learned. ' Did i say, read the manual?? that might be hard work sometimes, but you will have many Aha moments, trust me..
In one week max, you will have a solid understanding of both. and make tracks that make some sense in them.

i must add both the mentioned daws (Live/FL) can do a few things the other cant (just one case in point: Harmor in FL which is truely mindblowing and Wicked/crazy/twisted shit on the session view in Live, off the top of my head..)(case two in point: Macro in FL and Macro in Live.. both work differenly but both are the next best thing to magic)
I recently got my hands on FL12, and i am learning it all over again.LOL. and i am still learning a bit more about Live each day too..Its a happy journey so far.. Albiet a long, winding one at that.

It sounds impractical, but since you say, you are starting out, you never know, which one you might fall in love with...Its the best time to learn both at one go and be done with it...which refers back to my Short answer that i began with..I feel it just opens a lot of rom for experimentation once you are comfortable with both/either.. At the end, as you might have heard already, its not about the daw, but the way you use it and the depth that you know it...

Good luck for your start and i congratulate you on your attention span, if u read thru the whole of this long, yawn inducing post...which unfortunately might not have answered your question :pointing:

Back