9th Wonder’s '10 Track Commandments' for Music Producers

Status
Not open for further replies.
i agree with the way it was broken down by band man. The fact that there are "rules" is contradictory to what music is to begin with in my opinion. Music is about self expression so I belief there are all kinds of ways to do that. As far as sampling the the first 10 secs of a record that goes against a lot of the hot records BadBoy made during their heyday which goes back to what I was saying about self expression. When Pete Rock samples a jazz record or Timbaland samples a baby noise they did it because it felt right to them not because of any supposed rules. I am a 9th fan but I think sometimes certain musicians try to over complicate something that is much simpler than they would have you believe. What works for one person may not apply to another. I say if it feels good to you then do it and if it doesn't feel good move on to something else. There was no blueprint or secrets for "Thriller" it was about what felt good. Check any interview that Quincy Jones has done over the years and I challenge you to find one where he stated any supposed rules. Just my thoughts man!

Im liking this.
Does anybody else have a problem with hitting no when they are asked to save their work thinking you can come up with something better?

some real great advice that will carry on with me.

#1 is the best rule up there. would'nt trade my multitrack for the world

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back