8 Tips I Wish I knew when I started beat making

tompearson

Hello everyone, I just wann share with you some tips that I think are most important for newbies and people who are just starting out with beat making. These tips may seem very basic but I think they're underrated and new producers don't give them much importance which leads to many problems.

It’s normal. Everything in life that’s worth it needs time and effort to master it. The same goes with beat making. At the beginning, your beats will suck and you’ll hate yourself for that. However, after a few weeks of practice and dedication your beat making skills will be so much better.
As a result, your beats will be better and your friends will like them. Therefore, all you need is practice and a strong will to be a good music producer.

So let get to the tips.

1. Listen to Different Songs

In order to get inspired and find your beats’ ideas, I recommend listening to many songs that are in the same genre of music (Rap for example). Since you’ve already chosen what genre of music you want to create, take a couple hours listening carefully to the most popular songs in your chosen genre.

2. Practice, Practice and Practice

Practice makes it perfect. What most people don’t know is that the major difference between top producers and other average producers is that top producers have spent more time and efforts on beat making so that they became that good.

What I mean by practice is spending as much time as possible on mixing, listening and producing new beats every day. At some point, depending on spent time, you’ll be able to produce high quality beats that people would want to buy.

3. Use Good Sound Samples

Sound samples and instruments are the first factor that determines if your beat is good or not. So, you’d want to be very careful when choosing them. Most of beat makers come with enough instruments to start with and make your first beats . But, as your level develops you’ll need to consider buying some high quality sounds and loops to push your beat to higher level.

4. Learn Song structures

It’s crucial to have some knowledge about song structures. Each genre of music has its particular song structure. Therefore, you should learn song parts (Intro, Chorus, Verse, Bridge, outro…) and the way they can be arranged in your music genre that you’ve chosen.

You can Learn that Here at Wikipedia by searching for song structure.

5. Be a Friend With other Beat Makers

I remember when I was starting out with beat making and the things was really difficult and boring because there was no one there to share with. Having your friends doing beat making is a great thing that will keep you always excited and motivated to create new beats to show them to your friends.

6. Stick With One Beat Making Software

In the beginning you still not very familiar with beat makers. So, it’s best to choose an easy-to-use beat maker and spend some time to master it. Why I’m saying this ?

The reason is that jumping from a beat maker to another only makes things more difficult. Every beat making software needs time to master its features. So, be patient and stick with one beat making software during your first months.

7. Remake Popular Beats

Remaking most popular beats is a great way to challenge yourself. It’s one of the methods I used back then to develop my beat making skills. Fortunately, it worked great for me.

So, what I’m saying is instead of spending too much time on trying to come up with your beat’s concept. It’s easier to remake others beats and see if you are good enough. As for your own original beats, don’t worry you’ll get to that as soon as you’re good enough.

8. Have Fun

Isn’t that what life is all about ? Having fun is an essential thing that will help you keep doing beat making. It’s the way that beat making make you feel that matters. If you have this, I guarantee you that you won’t face so many problems to create sick beats.

These were 8 tips which I consider the most important for beat making beginners. If you think there are other beat making tips that I forgot to add to this thread, please don’t be shy and comment below. Let's help each other out.

Thanks for reading,

Good post!

I thing I'll add, which coincides with no.6 is, resist from buying loads of equipment or vsts/plugins at once. In the past, I've purchased MPC's loads of outboard processors and sound modules. And the result? I never got the most out of one signal unit, because I was overwhelmed with having too much at my finger tips.

So, learn one piece of gear like the back of your hand, and only consider buying that new shiny product on the market, (which promises to make you breakfast in bed with on the bells and whistles on it) if it'll add value to your current setup.

Good post!

I thing I'll add, which coincides with no.6 is, resist from buying loads of equipment or vsts/plugins at once. In the past, I've purchased MPC's loads of outboard processors and sound modules. And the result? I never got the most out of one signal unit, because I was overwhelmed with having too much at my finger tips.

So, learn one piece of gear like the back of your hand, and only consider buying that new shiny product on the market, (which promises to make you breakfast in bed with on the bells and whistles on it) if it'll add value to your current setup.

Great advice, thanks for adding so much value to the thread.

For remaking beats do you recommend doing it alone by ear? Or by looking at youtube videos/chords online and remaking it following those

I have just started learning to produce myself.. i was lucky enough to win a competition with a well renowned site called pointblank which got me a free ableton live online course and some novation equipment. I'm doing my best to learn the ins and outs of everything before i start trying to create things and i am quite glad to have found this forum. Thanks for the advice, i will definitely be taking it on board.

Learning the chords, or at least finding out the key the song is in will help you to navigate through recreate it alot easier. Id recommend starting this way.
If you are gonna recreate the song by ear, a good jump off point is to start with the bassline notes. Basslines are typically constructed using the root notes from what ever chord progression the song is based off of. Hope this helped:)

Learning the chords, or at least finding out the key the song is in will help you to navigate through recreate it alot easier. Id recommend starting this way.
If you are gonna recreate the song by ear, a good jump off point is to start with the bassline notes. Basslines are typically constructed using the root notes from what ever chord progression the song is based off of. Hope this helped:)
Requoted for emphasis.

Back