4 most common mistakes when making beats...

"So learn who you are and what makes you different from the rest of the bunch and embrace this individuality"

This is probably the wisest thing in the whole article, and very, very important.
Technical stuff will come with time, Sample libraries will come with time, but the spirit of who you are
gotta live in the stuff you create from the first crappy pots-and-pans beat to the last professional beat you do,
or it ain't art.

Last edited by a moderator:
there is this line >> "Here’s a link to a graph showing the audio spectrum and where certain instruments tend to fall within." but there's no link :( the link would be really helpful. Great page to learn how to cover starter mistakes too. thanks for sharing :)

Last edited:
actually looks more like he forgot to put the link in as nothing comes up when searching for that sentence as that sentence (i.e. a search of the sentence inside double quotes)

I enjoyed reading that article.

One thing that threw me off a little was your explanation about dynamics. You contrasted "full in your face hip hop and ballad" that starts quiet then builds up. This sounds more like an arrangement difference rather than dynamic range, which is affected by compressors.

Its a subtle difference, but deserves to be addressed separately.

I here you, I guess it was a little too general. But when mixing a ballad I compress far less to maintain the natural dynamic say, in the ballad vocalist as opposed to a rap vocalist.. This may also be a sense of personal taste.. But, In a ballad I would conservatively use compression on a vocalist like Whitney Houston (just a example) maybe 3-4db of reduction as opposed to a Jay style Vocalist I might hit it more around 5-6db with one compressor and 3-4db with another essentially robbing it of dynamic range through compression to achieve the sound im looking for. But I do understand your point tho.., thanks man

Last edited:
Yah, i got the sense you were referring to dynamics as it relates to compression but this part refers to arrangement, not compression. The part about building up volume like a roller coaster", which i found confusing.

"The next aspect of a good beat is to have nice dynamics . Weather its a in-your-face Hip Hop track or a ballad that starts quite then builds up volume like a roller coaster, good beats should have appropriate dynamic qualities."

Yah your approach to compressing vocals is on point. Dope site by the way, looking forward to seeing more content!

Last edited by a moderator:
I dont think there is mistakes done with someones creativity. Beat making is making beats the way you want them. Express your creativity and make it the way you want. There is no rules is being creative....... Follow me on twitter @icebritish

Back