Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree2Likes

Thread: 4 most common mistakes when making beats...

Beatschool101 is offline Registered User
    Thanks

4 most common mistakes when making beats...

Sign in to disable this ad
    Whats up all.... I recently wrote a article about what I feel are the 4 most common mistakes made when making beats. I would love some feed back on article.. Thanks alot.. Here is the LInk Beat Making Tips- 4 common mistakes when making beats Learn how to make beats
    Last edited by bandcoach; 11-19-2013 at 09:49 PM.

EarlSweatPants is offline Registered User
    Thanks
    "So learn who you are and what makes you different from the rest of the bunch and embrace this individuality"

This is probably the wisest thing in the whole article, and very, very important.
    Technical stuff will come with time, Sample libraries will come with time, but the spirit of who you are
    gotta live in the stuff you create from the first crappy pots-and-pans beat to the last professional beat you do,
    or it ain't art.
    Last edited by bandcoach; 11-20-2013 at 12:25 AM. Reason: removed white font colour - can't read it in the grey/white theme

SpectruMaddness is offline GROWLLLLL..DROP
    Thanks
    there is this line >> "Here’s a link to a graph showing the audio spectrum and where certain instruments tend to fall within." but there's no link the link would be really helpful. Great page to learn how to cover starter mistakes too. thanks for sharing
    Last edited by SpectruMaddness; 11-20-2013 at 12:38 AM. Reason: Wrong thought :) changed before he kills me.

bandcoach is online now Zukatoku - Mod Scientist
    Thanks
    actually looks more like he forgot to put the link in as nothing comes up when searching for that sentence as that sentence (i.e. a search of the sentence inside double quotes)
    BC: I've been making music since Before Computers were common in music
    Abnormal thoughts and insights available here
    Tutorials and other ideas available here
    My SoundCloud

Thanks
    Thank you guys for the positive criticism! I have inserted a very helpful graph now.. Opps, I originally forgot...( Heres the Link)

anonymoustwist is offline Registered User
    Thanks
    I enjoyed reading that article.

One thing that threw me off a little was your explanation about dynamics. You contrasted "full in your face hip hop and ballad" that starts quiet then builds up. This sounds more like an arrangement difference rather than dynamic range, which is affected by compressors.

Its a subtle difference, but deserves to be addressed separately.
    likes this.

Thanks
    I here you, I guess it was a little too general. But when mixing a ballad I compress far less to maintain the natural dynamic say, in the ballad vocalist as opposed to a rap vocalist.. This may also be a sense of personal taste.. But, In a ballad I would conservatively use compression on a vocalist like Whitney Houston (just a example) maybe 3-4db of reduction as opposed to a Jay style Vocalist I might hit it more around 5-6db with one compressor and 3-4db with another essentially robbing it of dynamic range through compression to achieve the sound im looking for. But I do understand your point tho.., thanks man
    Last edited by Beatschool101; 11-30-2013 at 01:40 PM.

anonymoustwist is offline Registered User
    Thanks
    Yah, i got the sense you were referring to dynamics as it relates to compression but this part refers to arrangement, not compression. The part about building up volume like a roller coaster", which i found confusing.

"The next aspect of a good beat is to have nice dynamics . Weather its a in-your-face Hip Hop track or a ballad that starts quite then builds up volume like a roller coaster, good beats should have appropriate dynamic qualities."

Yah your approach to compressing vocals is on point. Dope site by the way, looking forward to seeing more content!
    Last edited by bandcoach; 11-30-2013 at 01:55 PM.
    likes this.

icebritishbeatz is offline Registered User
    Thanks
    I dont think there is mistakes done with someones creativity. Beat making is making beats the way you want them. Express your creativity and make it the way you want. There is no rules is being creative....... Follow me on twitter @icebritish

Tapiwa is offline Registered User
    Thanks
    Great read!
    www.dailyhustlers.com - Money advice for the modern generation

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information