10 Things they don’t tell Music Producers…. til it’s too late

Absolutely essential. I think this should be read by everyone. Nice!

I would add though the 11th point:

Always finish your projects.
Especially in the beginning, when your learning process is rapid, you leave behind many unfinished projects. It is a bad habit. Even if it will be for your ears only, always finish your projects. The time will come when you will need an inspiration or cheer up. You will open an old song and see: Whoa, I made quite a progress here!.
This way you will also practice all the stages of music production. The final mix mastering is very important. You need to practice it a lot.

When I first started producing I was very focused on this mentality, however, as I've grown as a producer I've learned that it's not always about finishing the project. I believe that at first it's definitely important because if you didn't you would never develop the skill to finish a project. Once you've passed that point though, I feel like you shouldn't have to. Now that I can produce quality music whenever I slip and something isn't going the right direction, I don't waste the time to continue/finish something I can already tell is gonna be a throw away. At a certain point in experience you don't gain anything from finishing yours songs. I feel the most important things is to make sure it doesn't become a habit.

Fantastic post! Just read through it.
Agree on each and every point after years of songwriting/producing.
Newcomer? Embrace this!

great post! i strongly agree with all of these especially the one about how you dont need all the fancy tools and software that you think you do

Love this article! All too true, I often refer back to this to make sure my music production work ethic is on track haha. Thanks for writing this.

Great article. I've been making music for just over a year and I still like to go back and look at tips like these. I know a year isn't a lot, which is probably why I'm not super content with where my music ability is right now, but knowing everyone releases songs they arent a huge fan of is a sigh of relief.

Back