1 or 2 computer monitors for production?

TDOT

FP what's good?

I just built a crazy a$$ custom PC yesterday for my music, and I'm debating wether or not I should get 2 computer monitors or 1 big monitor?

What do you guys use?
Pros and Cons?

I was thinking 2 screens maybe so I can have pluggins on one windwow and then my DAW on the other, or even a browser open on one window and music on the other if I'm ever watching tutorials or anything.

But then I'm thinking with 2 smaller screens i'm limited to maximizing my DAW to whatever screen size I have lets say 21" but with one screen I can get like a 27" view of my DAW...

What do you think?

I use 3.

FL on one screen, the FL playlist on another and visual monitoring on another. When I've setup ReWire, I plan on replacing the visual monitoring or playlist with Pro Tools.

I use 2x 17" displays and while they might seem a bit on the small side they span a distance of 2 1/2 feet, which is the right distance to allow my speakers to form an equilateral triangle with my monitoring position and that's something you might want to take into consideration.

I would recommend a large wide screen for an extended view of your DAW in order to avoid the gap you get with two screens, but should you decide to add a second screen later I would recommend placing one above or below.

I would say use two screens for the sake of having the freedom to better organize your windows and switch them. You can even have one large screen for your DAW and a second smaller screen for everything else.

Two screens is better than 1 screen in most cases bcuz there's less moving around of windows. As long as you have the room and you're not cramped up, i'd go with the 2. I don't care about looks and symmetry, blah, blah....I have a 15in laptop on my desk to the lower left of my larger monitor sitting on a mantle like piece of wood. It works for me.

Alright thanks, just getting opinions
I think I'm going to start with one big monitor like 24" and then later on maybe at another smaller one and I'll mount the bigger screen above the small one.

There's pros and cons for both, I like that I could one big screen to work on but then 2 screens is good to be able to view more then one window at a time without minimizing.

Two monitors are better. You can have more windows open and it's just so much better for multitasking.
Juuust my opinion though.

I have two monitors currently (both 20") and will do so as well with my next production machine.

have contemplated having a 40" single monitor but I do not have the room space to make it work - I'd have to sit at least 5' from it to be able to think about it being in focus - I would need 4 x 20" monitors to get close to the single 40" one btw.

I use 2x 17" displays and while they might seem a bit on the small side they span a distance of 2 1/2 feet, which is the right distance to allow my speakers to form an equilateral triangle with my monitoring position and that's something you might want to take into consideration.

I would recommend a large wide screen for an extended view of your DAW in order to avoid the gap you get with two screens, but should you decide to add a second screen later I would recommend placing one above or below.

I thought you would be a person that would keep their Studio Monitors on stands

-Coach Antonio

Looks like 2 monitors it is...Future Producers says 2 monitors, on GearSlutz they're saying one big...

Going with 2, sticking to my gut

FP what's good?

I just built a crazy a$$ custom PC yesterday for my music, and I'm debating wether or not I should get 2 computer monitors or 1 big monitor?

What do you guys use?
Pros and Cons?

I was thinking 2 screens maybe so I can have pluggins on one windwow and then my DAW on the other, or even a browser open on one window and music on the other if I'm ever watching tutorials or anything.

But then I'm thinking with 2 smaller screens i'm limited to maximizing my DAW to whatever screen size I have lets say 21" but with one screen I can get like a 27" view of my DAW...

What do you think?
I have 2 now and couldn't go back. Everytime I go to someone elses house and try to work in a DAW w/ one monitor its a nightmare now. forget 2 small monitors, or 1 big monitor, get 2 BIG MONITORS :D

I have 2 now and couldn't go back. Everytime I go to someone elses house and try to work in a DAW w/ one monitor its a nightmare now. forget 2 small monitors, or 1 big monitor, get 2 BIG MONITORS :D

Two big monitors would be freaking amazing!
But seriously, I hate using one monitor now (I use a laptop too..) I use my laptop monitor with my 23" monitor and I wish I could just carry my big monitor around with me. It's very useful. Get two monitors.

doing anything with multiple monitors will change your live. xvideos on one and youjizz on another.

in all seriousness, 2 monitors will really improve your workflow. if you use rewire you can have your primary on monitor 1 and fl studio/live on the second without having to switch windows. and if you use pro tools you can have the mix window on one and edit on another.

also a bigger monitor allows you to have more things in view at once.

i use 2 dell u2410s.

I mean, obviously anyone would prefer more but most people get along fine with one. Having an extra monitor isn't going to make you a better musician, it just improves workflow. I only have a laptop sadly, I hate laptops.

I had a 3 monitor setup as well. I found it was too much back n forth for me. Made me less productive b/c I was constantly checking things unnecessarily.

I downgraded to 2.

However... I would like to add a 3rd small touch screen HDMI monitor to just control plugins and keep VU meters out of the way.

---------- Post added at 05:47 PM ---------- Previous post was at 05:45 PM ----------

I have a desk with an elevated shelf that places my studio monitors exactly where I want them to be.

I just knew you were gonna say you have Auralex foam pads under em lol... guess i was wrong too!

---------- Post added at 05:49 PM ---------- Previous post was at 05:47 PM ----------

Oh... BTW.... pay attention to the resolution. The higher the resolution... the more stuff you can fit into the screen.. and the better things will look.

That's a mistake I made lmao. I finally just replaced that monitor last week.

Back