these "Flip This Battles"

I

Ivoryviking

why in the world would you exclude outside voting? that makes absolutely no sense. please explain why the battle is being held this way. This is straight backwards. make the producer vote for his foes. not logical.

if you guys are going to do a closed vote then there should be designated judges. like mods.
Well,then you will end up with a genre specific battle thread. based on the music the judges prefer.

If the excuse is going to be something like, "well so and so MIGHT have all his friends vote for him." not the case. his friends don't want to sign up to a forum they never visit. we would see that soso got ten votes from brand new members we would know.

this should be voted on. perhaps I'm wrong. maybe none of these beat makers want this on this forum. But perhaps they would like this battle a little more open. more open for outside Mc's, producers, dj, or fans can hear their battles and vote. id like to vote.

the vote thread can be organized with all tracks posted in it or just the link to soundcloud. from past battle your not getting turn outs. this week being the a great turn out. after waiting a whole week for results most have gone els ware to play. then your waiting for winner to come back to see if he won to place samples.
The rules should change with winner as well. gives little different challenges weekly. the time limit is too short. if your BPM is 86 {and i say only 86, trap could be allot slower} that would only leave 32 bars to showcase beat.

i hope you guys running this don't take this as being rude. or bitching. I'm simply asking why and giving a couple ideas. i plan to play next round. I am one of the hosts for battles on the MPC-Forums. we are weekly battlers and votes are open to all forum members. vote lasts for the weekend monday starts a new battle. for any battlers that want more battles. there is the Akai MPC Forums - Beat Battles
and stone throws too: Beat Battles - STMB
both like this FP FLIP This battle, are very different. not because of the way they hold rules and votes but because of the participants.

anyway looking forward to listening to FP battle 8 entries. i will post my opion here in this thread, but def want to hear replays to my comments about the battle.

peace
The Viking

Ohhhh shit didn't realize the battles were back!!

Looks like the time limit is up to the person starting the battle for the week but imo it should just be full instrumentals of whatever length cause it's just easier; if people don't listen to the whole thing and miss your switch-up or whatever at the end, then your shit was either too boring, too repetitive, or too long to begin with

I kinda like the pick your top 3 tho -- gives more opportunity when choosing your favorite when it really comes down to 2 or 3 different beats instead of only picking 1 and the other guy(s) get nothing; not being able to vote for yourself should definitely be an aspect to rule out obvious bias of your own beat, otherwise you'd be stupid to not put yourself number 1 every time if you really wanted to win so I'm with you there

As far as the outside votes thing, so you can only vote if you entered a beat that week?
If so, I could see it both ways but for something so casual; I'm kinda leaning towards just giving all members a vote since some people maybe just weren't feeling the samples that week but still are into the whole battle realm and listening to what other people did with it -- keeps them more motivated to stay up with the battles if they can at least vote even if they didn't enter that week

I agree. I'd like to see voting opened up to everyone. Regardless, I'm glad there is a steady running battle again.

I was aware of the Stones Throw battles but didn't realize MPC forums had 'em too. I'll have to head over there and check it out.

There's one simple reason: When only participants are allowed to vote, there is no need to monitor the quality of the voting accounts, so no change for anybody to try running multiple accounts to win battles (would inevitably happen at some point, any mod here could state this as a fact). Also gets rid of buddy votes, which is not about making friends start accounts but non-battling people choosing based on appearances on the boards, the better known names would be more prone to get a vote. And more importantly making the producers vote keeps it self-sustained.

When it comes to the time limit: having it longer would make the time required to spend listening to be able to vote too long. Or either people would just listen a bit here and there and miss major parts of the beats. It's a battle, so it should invite to think outside the somewhat standardish song structures anyways.

This battle was started by mods as it was requested and rules have been discussed in the threads before. As the mods oversee it, changing the voting process to being open for outsiders would put a bigger workload on us volunteering moderators.

Last edited:
i'll probably get in on the stones throw and mp battles as well as the FP ones, i barely come on FP nowadays, but i just started coming back on here again and i saw the battles so i hopped in, im glad they had a banner for it too cus i usually ignore the sticky threads.

There's one simple reason: When only participants are allowed to vote, there is no need to monitor the quality of the voting accounts, so no change for anybody to try running multiple accounts to win battles (would inevitably happen at some point, any mod here could state this as a fact). Also gets rid of buddy votes, which is not about making friends start accounts but non-battling people choosing based on appearances on the boards, the better known names would be more prone to get a vote. And more importantly making the producers vote keeps it self-sustained.

When it comes to the time limit: having it longer would make the time required to spend listening to be able to vote too long. Or either people would just listen a bit here and there and miss major parts of the beats. It's a battle, so it should invite to think outside the somewhat standardish song structures anyways.

This battle was started by mods as it was requested and rules have been discussed in the threads before. As the mods oversee it, changing the voting process to being open for outsiders would put a bigger workload on us volunteering moderators.

how would this make more work for you guys? don't you have a poll? all the battles i ever have participated I have never seen some fraudulent voting. frankly i think people know its wack.
I find there is actually no work in running the battles as a mod because you only set up two threads. which only take about two minutes.

open a vote for it. i don't see why most, if not all the future producers would like their peers to listen comment and vote.

it is as simple as jyri states it but here is it is from my perspective

1) limiting voting to those who create the track is meant to encourage participation not voyeurism - if you want to vote you need to enter, it is that simple
2) lengths are short to keep it easy enough to listen to every track although at 30 participants we have hit the upper limit (45 minutes for 30 entries to be listened to at least once each may be a bit much for anyone)
3) anyone can comment on the tracks at soundcloud,
4) competition time frames were chosen to encourage participation without limiting opportunities: 3 days is not enough , 2 weeks is too much. It also takes into account that things do get in the way of individuals lives: 1 winner had to give up running the next battle because he is right in the middle of the Ukranian conflict, mods stepped in to handle the voting on that battle
5) mods do not just start and end battles - we are watching for non-battle related messages, catching issues as they happen rather than waiting for them to be reported and so on.

I believe that we have the mix right in regards to how these battles should run and how they should be adjudicated

Back