The Andrews Sisters - Rum and Coca Cola

i have no intentions of flipping this but watching that video i would bet my life the Andrews Sisters may be racist...just a random thought

i have no intentions of flipping this but watching that video i would bet my life the Andrews Sisters may be racist...just a random thought

Yes the lyrics are a little uncomfortable, because they were never meant to be sung by three white woman.

You may be right...
The Andrews Sisters said they didn't give much thought to the lyrics when they recorded it and just made the song because they liked the rhythm. It became a top single in 1945, at the same time it was actually banned on radio because the mention of alcohol and the brand coca-cola. The credited lyricist of the The Andrews Sisters song is a man named Morey Amsterdam, however he plagiarized the lyrics from a calypso singer named Lord Invader. Lord Invader grew up in Trinidad and originally wrote the song "Rum and Coca-Cola". Invader saw all the American soldiers coming to the West Indies and corrupting their woman. Amsterdam's version of the song fails to portray this, he manipulates the lyrics to make them seem like prostitutes. Invaders original version of the song https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nMWUF3LYd88. Lord Invader successfully sued over copyright infringement and was given a substantial royalty payment of $150,000. However, the final settlement allowed Amsterdam to retain his copyright. Unfortunately intellectually property isn't hard to steal, and its a disturbing how many artist get taken advantage of.
For those of you who want to read further into this:
main

Back