good luck beating my flip...*Crosby Stills and Nash, Chill jazzy sample*

Fair dues, that's a brilliant flip. The drum programming is immense and you've captured a great vibe with the track. Props.

"my shit go harder n all i did was loop it"

It really doesn't LOL. Just my opinion but this looping shit is wack as hell. That's not producing. It's lazy as hell. Takes ZERO skill and musicality.

Damn, Daringer got people out here doing some nonsense.

hmm while i do think it takes alot less time and effort than writing and playing and recording every part to a piece like what i normally do, i strongly disagree with you, there is some beauty to be found in looping and musicality can be in the ear, not in the skill/ effort. for instance, i could call sampling lazy, and say it takes zero skill. why not play everything yourself instead of stealing? and ii am very wary of people who say what producing is and what isn't, it's a narrow mindset. buuuut i do just loop things when i wanna have fun cos it's quick instead of creating a track from scratch[xᗜx] so i guess we all win here, round of applause

i dunno who Daringer is but he sounds like a wonderful guy, thank you for the recommendation <3

There's levels in everything but just taking 4-8 bars of a track and just looping it is lame as hell. It takes around a minute to do it and you can teach an absolute novice to do it in 30 minutes. It's wack as hell and it's opened the door to a ton of "beatmakers" to do nothing but that.

ya see i don't think there's anything wrong with that, and if a novice creates something beautiful and can participate in music and express themselves in a non traditional way using loops in under 30 minutes by just looping 4-8 bars without having to learn how to play an instrument or study music theory, or mixing and mastering or any of that, i think that's amazing. as for these 'beatmakers' u speak of, i think it's great more and more people have an interest in participating in music in whatever way they can and the more the merrier, the doors should be opened wider.

and by the way, this took 48 seconds, i'm not some novice here. <3

ya see i don't think there's anything wrong with that, and if a novice creates something beautiful and can participate in music and express themselves in a non traditional way using loops in under 30 minutes by just looping 4-8 bars without having to learn how to play an instrument or study music theory, or mixing and mastering or any of that, i think that's amazing. as for these 'beatmakers' u speak of, i think it's great more and more people have an interest in participating in music in whatever way they can and the more the merrier, the doors should be opened wider.

and by the way, this took 48 seconds, i'm not some novice here. <3

Well that's where we differ greatly. You say the door should be opened wider, I say beatmaking is now VERY over saturated and things like looping a 4-8 bar segment of someone else's music and claiming a production credit is a major factor in that. How are they "expressing themselves" if they just loop another piece of music and add nothing to it? That's bogus. It's not THAT much of a big deal simply because I think that will get people only so far, if anywhere. It's becoming somewhat of a gimmick and now you got middle class white dudes from Surrey trying to sound and rap like Roc Marciano and it's hilarious.

nah man, beatmaking isn't over saturated, music in general is over saturated, and that's great, more music than has ever existed in all of history exists right now and that will expand tomorrow like the universe, beautiful, the best loop you have ever heard could be in incubation stages right now.
as for how are they expressing themselves, it's the same as if i teach a kid to play a G major chord on the piano, it's been done a million times before, it's been heard a million times before, and it will be done a million more times, but when you teach it to a kid they feel like they own that chord, and they might do something amazing and truly unique with it. same with if you teach someone looping, they feel like they've taken part in something. also when you take 4-8 bars and loop, the repetition of it turns it into something else. all of hip hop is built on this concept i believe.
and john lennon wanted to be elvis presley, there's nothing wrong with middle class white dudes trying to sound like roc marciano, it doesn't harm anyone and if you don't support it you can enjoy the cringe factor of it all, brilliant.
i just don't think there is a 'wrong' way to make music

i would highly recommend looping to you though, you could have flipped this song at least a good three times by now, great fun <3

Beatmaking is massively over saturated. I'm not sure of the circles you frequent but it's very evident. Hip-Hop is built off of sampling. Looping IS a part of making music and it can sound good here and there but the sheer amount of people just taking 4-8 bar loops and claiming they are producers is embarrassing. It's lowering the bar. Hip-Hop has always been a super competitive art form and all the "it isn't harming anyone" is exactly the kind of thing said by outsiders in the culture. It's harming the culture, it's lowering the quality control mantra. I agree that there isn't a wrong way to make music but there's certainly levels to it. Don't piss on my chips and tell me it's vinegar ya know. Like the way you wrote "my shit go harder n all I did was loop it". I mean, I'm guessing you wrote that with tongue firmly in cheek but that's another aspect of lowering the bar, you can have someone just cut and paste a loop for 3 minutes and think that they "made" something when they didn't. You can't compare what greats like John Lennon did in respect to this debate, it's apples and oranges. The same way comparing what a novice does with a loop to the great producers within Hip-Hop is laughable. Again, it's about levels.

Lastly, I could make a loop in around 30 seconds flat...ANYONE can. Why would I want to attempt to do something ANYONE can do. If I want to stand out and test myself, I'll stay well away from doing something that can be learned effectively in 10 minutes.

if it's lowering the bar you should be grateful then because this should make your beats sound all the better then for not using loops no? 'outsiders in the culture' is a very very very fearfully narrow mindset to have, and not a very positive one. i'm getting some old head vibes off ya so sorry if i assume incorrectly but i'm sure producers you think are great have without a doubt used loops. and i say disrespect the hell out of em all, steal their beats, steal their drums, chop em up, loop em up and see how they feel about it because that's how they got great at producing in the first place. yeah it was quite tongue in cheek because i thought the idea of trying to 'beat' someones flip was in itself hilarious in such a subjective setting, but i do know i would rather listen to my own loop than what the poster flipped (no offense to them, just my opinion) so i guess my loop does go 5 billion times harder ᕦ❍v❍ᕥ nah i can man, my point was there is nothing wrong with people taking inspiration from who they want. i did enjoy this conversation tho

and lastly the reason why you would attempt to do something anyone can do is because you might just have fun, even accidently, highly recommend it and would love to hear your loop if you do <3

actually i just realised there on the second listen my loop goes 6 billion times harder

I like the feedback. I agree with DJ Alkemy here. Looping shit and matching the tempo is much different than being a producer and making a song sound different. You're supposed to make it your own beat. Your flip was decent timmyxholiday, but not very original and imo it required less talent than mine.

Hope I haven't triggered you haha.

peace

'outsiders in the culture' is a very very very fearfully narrow mindset to have, and not a very positive one. i'm getting some old head vibes off ya so sorry if i assume incorrectly but i'm sure producers you think are great have without a doubt used loops.
Having culture vultures in Hip-Hop isn't positive at all either. Also, what the hell has my age got to do with anything?. You may be getting an "old head" vibe from me but I'm getting a culture vulture vibe from you but that's another story.

I like the feedback. I agree with DJ Alkemy here. Looping shit and matching the tempo is much different than being a producer and making a song sound different. You're supposed to make it your own beat. Your flip was decent timmyxholiday, but not very original and imo it required less talent than mine.

Hope I haven't triggered you haha.

peace

It's not even if the loop sounded nice anyway. It sounded wack as hell. There's no comparison in terms of structure, sound quality, feel etc. The loop sounded exactly how I imagined it beforehand when I read his introduction to it.

Well, his initial statement was tongue in cheek but I don't see any blatant trolling after that. Well, If he was, I hope it fulfilled him somehow ?

haha i'm sorry to crush your hopes crispy but i am triggered as all hell right now (ง꘠෴꘠)ง i still think my wack loop goes 7 billion times harder tho even if it took less talent and wasn't really making it my own ᑴ◔▾◔ᑷ this may sound sarcastic but i assure y'all it's not. and as for culture vulture, well vultures are dangerously close to becoming extinct so i am just trying to do my best to save an avian race by adding to their numbers. but nah your vibes are incorrect i try do alot for the 'culture' and hip hop producers, i been writing and recording samples and posting em on youtube just so people will have something new and free they can flip lately and this little loop was my way of taking a break from composing n playing guitar n piano and just having fun, and maybe a way of making a cool 1000, and it turned out to be way more fun than i could have possibly imagined <3
oh and i meant old head in the sense that your probably into 'golden era' stuff where 'real hip hop' was in it's 'prime' and so you are more likely to be into producers like rza and premier who, ironically, used loops quite alot, didn't add much to em and still made a beats go hard as hell

so now the only logical thing left to say - DJ Alkemy will you marry me? ୧๏‿๏୨

Last edited:
haha i'm sorry to crush your hopes crispy but i am triggered as all hell right now (ง꘠෴꘠)ง i still think my wack loop goes 7 billion times harder tho even if it took less talent and wasn't really making it my own ᑴ◔▾◔ᑷ this may sound sarcastic but i assure y'all it's not. and as for culture vulture, well vultures are dangerously close to becoming extinct so i am just trying to do my best to save an avian race by adding to their numbers. but nah your vibes are incorrect i try do alot for the 'culture' and hip hop producers, i been writing and recording samples and posting em on youtube just so people will have something new and free they can flip lately and this little loop was my way of taking a break from composing n playing guitar n piano and just having fun, and maybe a way of making a cool 1000, and it turned out to be way more fun than i could have possibly imagined <3
oh and i meant old head in the sense that your probably into 'golden era' stuff where 'real hip hop' was in it's 'prime' and so you are more likely to be into producers like rza and premier who, ironically, used loops quite alot, didn't add much to em and still made a beats go hard as hell

so now the only logical thing left to say - DJ Alkemy will you marry me? ୧๏‿๏୨

Thought you'd never ask LOL. Premier and Rza are some of my favourites yes but I'd say Zavala, Oddisee, Damu and a few more are who I look up to most. I pay no attention to labels like "Golden era" etc. If it's slamming, it's slamming, regardless of era, style etc. You may do a lot for Hip-Hop producers on YouTube (even though all I see are a couple of videos but whatever), that don't mean you can't be a culture vulture. My vibe is fine, I'm as laid back as they come, I've just seen waaaay too many people dipping their ttoe into Hip-Hop culture without caring about it in the slightest but hey, that's another debate for another time.

Back to the beat. Yours isn't comparable in any way to the OP, it trumps yours hands down but horses for courses I suppose.

Back