"Flip Tips" In maschine, Cant figure out BPM in maschine?

Hey guys , just bought myself a maschine studio just witched from logic, My question is usually in logic I would cut my samples into equal parts.... lets say 1/4 notes or w.e then I would hit the pads every 1/4 note on the tempo of the beat.... Cool ... easy...|

But I want to get more creative with my flips, Im liking a lot of your guys post where you Just chop up little "One shots" and play them in a crazy order..... So I chopped up this vocal sample And pitched it up about 4 notches on maschine. Sounds real dope. The problem is How do i match the tempo Im playing at.... Because maschine insists that you have exactly 4 or 8 bars it doesn't let you play freely as It would In logic ...

It's hard for me to explain exactly what I mean since I'm new to this but its like i chopped little one shots from the vocals and I play the first pad like 4 times in a row then the third twice and the 7th once and then repeat for a 2 bar loop. But How do I know the BPM To set the maschine at so i can get a perfect loop it doesn't let me play freely and then time stretch it like logic......

ok so it sounds like you have the sample at the BPM that you want but then you go in and change the pitch which also changes the BPM....

Heres what I do and lets see if this helps... When I pitch a sample but still want the original BPM. I just rerecord the pitched sample in one of the 16 "tracks" or "modules" then I take the pitched sample recording and time stretch it to the original BPM... So you have a sped up sound but the same tempo...

Yeah I understand that it changes the tempo, I can time stretch the pitch and keep OG tempo in maschine..... What I'm trying to say is Im not playing the samples at there tempo...... Like if i cut it in 1/4 notes I'm not hitting a pad every 1/4 note.... Im doing Chops and stabs and playing the groove I want.... Heres a link to the guy on youtube Im a big fan of, This is how I'm trying to chop samples... i chop em the way i want but when i lay them down I'm always on like the 5th or sixth bar I want to figure out how to play it so it can loop properly. I don't really know the termanology for what i'm trying to say lol sorry

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wKXrw41KwlA&index=21&list=PLtYo93zWhkyG-OTFB-puV-qnV1o8qmIaC

Like I wanna play the groove in my head.. No idea what tempo is .... And then be able to make that loop and it find the BPM like I would In logic

then set the tempo and lay drums...

Last edited:
It's funny that you say that though, I have this sample ATM that I'm pitching VIA the "Sound" Window, It changed BPM when I Change tune.... Now I like the BPM I tuned it too but it still shows original BPM in sample window.... Is there anyway for it to display new bpm ?

The way I do samples in maschine...

1. Import sample into audacity, take the sections I want.

2. Chop sections into 4 bar loops. You can also do this with any size, as long as they are all the same size.

3. When they are in 4 bar loops, I stretch them to match the tempo I want.

4. Then chop them down to how I want.

So you make loops first then chop? Is this good practice rather then shooting for The fences ?

So do you duplicate pads of the OG sample, then put 4 bars on each pad then chop to seperate groups??? I can't figure out how to switch pad banks on maschine

Last edited:
Ok so I have a better way of explaining it now ( I hope) I just chopped a sample that was 125 BPM ..... Got a 4 bar loop.... I then sliced it in 1/4 So that equals 16 chops.... The loop I chopped was a guitar single shots so it sounded dope. I hit pad 9 Twice, Pad 12 twice, Pad 7 twice then pad 8 twice for my loop then Repeat. which has that old school choppy sounds which I like....

But that is "ONE BAR" But when I play it at 125 BPM it was just over 2 bars or something..... So I kept turning the Tempo down and down and kept replaying it Until I found the tempo (Which this was the ONLY sample I have been able to do this with just a shot in the dark) Which turned out to be 75 BPM

My question is can I play this In maschine and then get it to match the tempo I played at or Turn the tempo down and get my notes to move swell instead of turning the tempo down replaying..... Tempo down replay ETC. ETC.

orrrrr am I just a noob? lol

So far because Of this limitation i can't do "Flips" I've Only been able to do loop sample beats..... The only way I've been able to do flips was keep the original tempo and play them in order or w.e which I don't want to do

Last edited:
@EnBeez the EmCee, have you tryed FL SLICER? There you can put your chops, and change the tempo without the changing the tonality...in other words you can easy use Time Scratching with right analog...i think that is what you want, sorry if i understand wrong hah

@EnBeez the EmCee, have you tryed FL SLICER? There you can put your chops, and change the tempo without the changing the tonality...in other words you can easy use Time Scratching with right analog...i think that is what you want, sorry if i understand wrong hah

I can do that In maschine swell as logic if need be ............. LOL It's soon hard to explain *Shakes fist at the sky* .. I'll leave this thread alone unless someone actually can decipher my cryptic wording and understand what I'm trying to say haha ..... *SIGH*

Theres time stretch in Logic and also maschine and they both work awesome.... I just can't find the BPM when I play the chops in a different and sometimes faster or slower order.... nahhh mean ..

Last edited:
Ok so ill try to be as through as possible.

First I put a song I want to sample into Audacity, get the sections I want. Put them in a group in maschine.
I apply ASDR instead of one shot, to the sample, a HP Filter, Poly at 8, and Choke group 1.
For this, lets say its just one section. I will truncate that section (after duplicating the first pad to 9), into 4 bars.
Then the same for the pad I duplicated. If I have more then 8 bars worth, Ill make another group and add it there.

Go back to first pad, if its 4 bars, I will normalize it if needs be, then stretch it to whatever my project tempo is. Here is also where you can add
pitch changes without affecting tempo.
Then I will duplicate that pad to #2, chop #1 to where I want it, then #2, and keep repeating.
This is a more technical way to chop on maschine, but its less generic when you get custom chops without using machines auto chop.

if you have any questions, please ask. Always willing to help. id video tape this but I have no camera. if you still don't get it after this, maybe you can add me on IG, and I can make a video that way.

1. Import sample to group A tot slot 1 set the sample to ADSR

2.Find the section u want to use and make it loop for 1,2,3,4 bars whatever u like

3. If you find the section u want to use; hold the pad 1 and hold shift and tap out the tempo. The maschine software will tell u the tempo

4. If u feel the tempo is correct; duplicate the sample from pad 1 to pad 16 (so u can come back to the sample and use other elements if u want)

5. Go back to pad 1 and set the start and end points correct and hit truncate.

6. Go to slice mode and tell me maschine how many chops u want. Also check if the start and end points of each chop is correct.

7. Satisfied with the chops hit apply

8. Go to pad mode and select keyboard mode. And go to key c-2 by hitting -octave button

9. Go back to sound menu, select ur poly to 1.

10. Change it to ur desired BPM

11. And start hitting ur pads.

OP You might wanna try this.

Chop the sample wherever you get the sounds you want.

Then play them however you want to get your groove going.

Tap tempo your groove

Lay down the beat

If you know what your chopping at after you chop it up and pitch it lay a 1/4 chop on the sequencer and adjust the tempo till it loops then you can take it out of the sequencer and make ur own

Sorry for the late reply Ok I get what you're saying and this is how you do it in Maschine….

Chop your sample and once you have all of your chops, open up another group.

1.Press record on Slot 1 of the new group.
2. select "DETECT" so that it doesn't start recording until you play your chops.
3. Go to your chops and play them the way you desire. Once you're finished select "stop recording"
4. In edit mode Truncate your new recording
5. Also in edit mode Hit "time stretch" it'll now show you your new tempo (BPM) of the sample you recorded.

You can now time stretch it more if you'd like or just set your new tempo to your chops you've just recorded..

Its that easy

Last edited:
Sorry for the late reply Ok I get what you're saying and this is how you do it in Maschine….

2. select "DETECT" so that it doesn't start recording until you play your chops.
3. Go to your chops and play them the way you desire. Once you're finished select "stop recording"
5. Also in edit mode Hit "time stretch" it'll now show you your new tempo (BPM) of the sample you recorded.

You can now time stretch it more if you'd like or just set your new tempo to your chops you've just recorded..

Its that easy

This seems like a headache. You shouldn't have to do your chops, then record it to stretch it. You should be able to stretch them before you even lay a groove. You don't lay a groove till you even have your drums layed out.

This seems like a headache. You shouldn't have to do your chops, then record it to stretch it. You should be able to stretch them before you even lay a groove. You don't lay a groove till you even have your drums layed out.

How is that a headache when it takes all of 10 seconds?
Everything he wants can be done literally in seconds.
Nor do you have to find a drum pattern first before you lay a groove with your chops. That sounds silly!
I always create a groove with my chops before I lay drums.

Plus I said if he wanted to stretch it "AFTERWARDS", he could.
Anytime you want to find the BPM of a sample or a chop pattern you've created, just hit time stretch and Maschine will show you the BPM…

SIMPLE AND FAST!

Last edited:

Its that easy

this sounds like what i'm looking to do, So when i play chops at a different tempo then the actual sample i can figure out the tempo..

I can't find detect mode and what do you mean by record on slot one?

I have 16 chops in group B and I hit record but cannot find detect

And I see millions of producers lay drums down then chop.... I'm not one of those people I get the groove first then lay rums and hats, That's just me though sample first then everything else

Last edited:
OP You might wanna try this.

Chop the sample wherever you get the sounds you want.

Then play them however you want to get your groove going.

Tap tempo your groove

Lay down the beat

i think this would also work I'm not sure how to tap tempo... I mean I know the button but I don't understand tempo, Do i hit it on snare?? Not sure how it works

Back