Flip, Remix, Bootleg, Mashup....???

Chew_Bear

Can someone give me a detailed explanation about the differences and specifics about each and every one of these...???

Beginner DJ and producer and I want to start sampling, remixing and creating my own mashups. But I am a little confused as to what exactly makes up a flip, remix, bootleg and mashup.

More importantly...the techniques and theories behind each one is what I would like to know about.

Probably be a good "sticky" for the forum.

Thanks.

• flip - take an existing song sample part of it and make something new
  • remix - using only the vocals (sometimes more but the classic version is vocals only)create new version including but not limited to new chord progression, new instruments, new solos etc. Some folks take this to mean simply applying their own eq/compression/fx chains to the stems of the original version, which is a very limited view of the possibilities a remix opens up
  • bootleg - misused term these days as the concept of bootleg comes from the days of illegal recordings and illegal issuing of albums/songs, as the recordings of concerts was done using bootleg (as in illicit liquour transport) techniques to smuggle the equipment in and out of the concert. today it means any track using most of the elements of an existing song and adding their own conceptual elements, most bootlegs today are also officially sanctioned
  • mashup - mixing two or more songs to make a new track. this may consist of some elements only or indeed have both songs connected together as part of a mixing process

Can someone give me a detailed explanation about the differences and specifics about each and every one of these...???

Beginner DJ and producer and I want to start sampling, remixing and creating my own mashups. But I am a little confused as to what exactly makes up a flip, remix, bootleg and mashup.

More importantly...the techniques and theories behind each one is what I would like to know about.

Probably be a good "sticky" for the forum.

Thanks.

Heres a cool vid of a guy flipping a George Benson sample into a house track

Back