Flip this Rare LA Soul - Bloodstone (1972)

Lab

E-U-G
Album: Natural High
Track: Ran it in the Ground

This is a gem from a nice west coast soul record I found at a book store. Usually I won't spend more the $6-8 on a record that looks hot, but I couldn't help dropping $10 on this one, especially because the guy at the counter gave me 20% off the whole lot. It paid off. This sample makes me wish Dilla was still alive, so he could kill it. We'll do our best instead. I better hear some flips, unlike my last post (Isaac Hayes), which was a complete dud. No replies? I guess a forum called "Flip this Isaac Hayes" just won't get it done these days... Haha. Enjoy!

Oh yeah, we made a beat. Check it out if you want. (Second link)

Good sh!t lab, certainly sounds like some dilla. thanks for the sample.

Thanks man. Very much appreciated. I recently realized that the criteria on which i judge a producer is their quality of basslines. If the bassline is weak/ non-existant, I won't be playing it. Close minded, I guess. I just know what I like. Haha.

Dilla made that?? lol but anyway it's nice I love the bassline, wish I could get my sound like that. Any tips for FL/plugins you use etc Lab? I would flip it but you prob 'won't be playing it' lol.

Dilla made that?? lol but anyway it's nice I love the bassline, wish I could get my sound like that. Any tips for FL/plugins you use etc Lab? I would flip it but you prob 'won't be playing it' lol.

Thanks fam.

****. I totally didn't mean that I wouldn't play the beats that are up on here. I just mean that I might not d/l it and play it in my whip. I put the sample up so I can learn from all of you. Didn't wanna sound like a douche there. We're all learning. Na'mean?

It's straight man.

So any help for a rookie on what I asked in the quote? I know what I like myself and that bassline right there is it. Link to the plugin/tip/tutorial you used anything would suffice bruh lol.

Here's some general advice that I'd give for basslines:

1. Listen to Dilla, Kev Brown & Oddisee. A lot.
2. Filter out all the highs and mids from the bass sound. Everything in a beat should have it's own frequency range, the bassline and kick drum belong at the bottom of the the frequency range.
3. Don't overpower the beat with bass, but also try to use at least three to four different notes.
4. Find some patches that work, and perfect them. Don't fix it if it ain't broken...

aight, im at work, bored, picked this sample and went in on it with the 15 min i had left before i gotta go open the buildin up so it aint done, but w/e, a true 15 min flip nah mean? lab the flip was ill, just peeped it. i got only 24 bars on mine, chorus and more permanent drums, better low end, are next but for now, this is the raw version -

flip - View attachment 27730

Word, thanks Jade. I guess after diggin all these years I'll call anything rare if I've never seen it before. Certainly not rare like some foreign ****. Nom, I'll check your flip when I get home.

Back