why choose a mac?

I do have an idiot friend who downloads every single program that pops up in a window who's computer may as well be wiped clean, but he's got like 20 web toolbars, a few antivirus freeware programs, freeware HD cleaners, all types of crap just weighing on his computer at all times. I doubt most people are dumb enough to click "download" everytime a pop up says "click download, it's free".

god lol. i know people like this to. i'm like, "just look to see if the pop up or ad on the page has anything to do with what you intended on downloading and they literally do not know. these are the people who think creating computer music is done by a click of a button. yeah. good luck making that happen friend lololol

it is more a case of XP is at its end of life date as of the end of next week - every company wants to keep moving forward so that folks buy into their subcription-ware model of software sales

eeeeeexactly. because if we don't buy new things from them they won't have anything coming in financially. i much rather pay for a much needed update than new hardware literally every six months. they no longer say crap such as, "you'll never need a new blank again". smh

Last edited:
Maybe it's just me but i don't find any audio program stable, whatever the platform. They're always bugging out and crashing i find. I can work on video all day long and not have a crash, but an hour or so into an audio project working in a daw and if it hasn't crashed i'm surprised. Logic has crashed like 5 times today already and i've only been using it about 3hrs. Piece of shit in my opinion, all of them. It would be nice if i never needed another computer because i honestly wouldn't be happy with investing in either platform. Maybe it's finally time to look to linux.

I bet a lot of those "top EDM producers" are not exactly computer wizards though.

I'll admit to that. I'm not tech savvy at all but I have a great enough ear and enough knowledge to know how something should sound. and I don't use outboard gear or anything physical for that matter. not saying I don't want to but because I don't have to. hell I've seen dudes on the decks doing nothing but pretending to twist knobs with no effect being applied to the records lol.

Maybe it's just me but i don't find any audio program stable, whatever the platform. They're always bugging out and crashing i find. I can work on video all day long and not have a crash, but an hour or so into an audio project working in a daw and if it hasn't crashed i'm surprised. Logic has crashed like 5 times today already and i've only been using it about 3hrs. Piece of shit in my opinion, all of them. It would be nice if i never needed another computer because i honestly wouldn't be happy with investing in either platform. Maybe it's finally time to look to linux.

wow man if your programs crash like that it might be do to a software issue. updating "should" fix that. another could be incompatibility with your computer. I can be making music all day on my laptop and not miss a beat. pardon the pun LOL. the only app on my laptop that crashes is Real because I have yet to report. but I know its the app because everything else works fine.

lol. totally disagree. Look at the top line of EDM producers running around with Macs. They need it to pose? You can´t be serious BC?

Not defending the "poser" stance, but at the same time chiming in. Most EDM Producers on a Macbook for their sets are running Ableton or Reason. A halfway up to date PC laptop can run those just as quickly and flawlessly(even in Win 8 OS). There are also programs like Cubase that I've always heard ran way better on PC. I can't confirm, I've never been a Cubase user. I won't say it's posing, but, again, liking nice things.

You're doing something wrong. Since you're using Logic, I'm assuming you're on a Mac. Are you meeting minimal requirements and making songs with 25 tracks full of fx? Is your Interface having compatability issues? Are you running multiple programs in the background while making music? Is your software bootleg(no offense intended, but that can be the issue)?

Yeah all my software is up to date with regard to its edition, logic 9.1.8 for eg. None of it's bootlegged. Logic is more stable on my laptop core duo 10.6 than on my desktop i7 10.9, which is one of the reasons i rolled back. Track count doesn't seem to matter, it can crash with 2 tracks or a 100 tracks. Fresh installs don't change anything, nor different interfaces. It's not just mine either, it just seems to be with any audio program with whatever computer. Audio work just seems really delicate. Maybe it's me. I've gotten into the habit of cmd+s whenever i put my hands on or off the keyboard so as to minimise loss. Reason is pretty solid to be fair, but i've never pushed that program on its own, only use it through rewire really.

You guys find audio programs stable then i guess?

I can't remember the last time an audio program crashed on me but I do know that in most cases it was because of memory overrun (the heap crashing into the stack - programm memory trying to steal from system memory allocation and similar types of events)

- there were some issues with the asio4all ksysmixer a while back (three years ago now) causing cascading bsod's which is one of the many reasons I do not recommend asio4all

Yeah all my software is up to date with regard to its edition, logic 9.1.8 for eg. None of it's bootlegged. Logic is more stable on my laptop core duo 10.6 than on my desktop i7 10.9, which is one of the reasons i rolled back. Track count doesn't seem to matter, it can crash with 2 tracks or a 100 tracks. Fresh installs don't change anything, nor different interfaces. It's not just mine either, it just seems to be with any audio program with whatever computer. Audio work just seems really delicate. Maybe it's me. I've gotten into the habit of cmd+s whenever i put my hands on or off the keyboard so as to minimise loss. Reason is pretty solid to be fair, but i've never pushed that program on its own, only use it through rewire really.

You guys find audio programs stable then i guess?

I have a Core2 Duo 3.0ghz 16gb iMac. I've heard ram makes a difference, but I don't remember running into problems before adding, I just did because I found it cheap on Crucial or Tigerdirect(can't remember, but i think around $150-200 for 4 4gb sticks).

I've ran Reason, FL thru VMWare Fusion, Pro Tools LE 8, and tons of plugs with no issues. I crashed Reason once during mixdown and have had to restart Pro Tools a couple times because I started getting errors(easier to just restart), but I'm talking maybe 5-6 instances over the last 3-4 years.

Could it possibly be audio settings within your programs or your interface?

Mac's tend to drag ass a bit more than PCs in regard to performance, it's not just Cubase though because a lot of dual platform DAWs actually perform worse under OSX than Cubase does....my biggest gripe with Apple is it's long standing tradition of Mackwards compatibility, that's where Apple makes some sweeping change to their OS so that none of your shit works any more and the only way to achieve compatibility is to go out and buy all new shit.....on a positive note Core Audio is OK and I really do like the time stamping in core MIDI, the build quality of Apple laptops is also quite decent.

The most important question however is how does your preferred DJ software perform on each platform.

Could it possibly be audio settings within your programs or your interface?

I'll have another look around. It is interesting that you two don't experience problems though. I actually haven't given it another thought in years as i just accepted that audio programs were temperamental. I probably exaggerated a bit before as it doesn't 'always' crash, like i must have been using logic for about 5 hrs yesterday and it didn't crash once, but over the 6 years or so that i've been using it i reckon i've sent a good few hundred of those 'click to reopen and send report to apple' things. It's a common occurrance for me.

Unfortunately my laptop is maxed at 8gig of ram or i would get 16.

my biggest gripe with Apple is it's long standing tradition of Mackwards compatibility, that's where Apple makes some sweeping change to their OS so that none of your shit works any more and the only way to achieve compatibility is to go out and buy all new shit.

I've only known this to happen 2 times. When they switched to Intel processors(which is fair, they had to develop for newer hardware), and with Pro Tools after the Mavericks update(I blame the second one on Avid). I'm not challenging your statement, just wondering about other instances of this. I pretty much stick to Reason and Pro Tools on OSX, so I'm not sure about this happening in other stuff.

Last edited:
a lot of things changed when Mac OS went from being written in Pascal to being written in C (around the time of the shift from 7 to 8), certainly there were significant changes with the shift form OS9 to OSX, particularly in the way in which audio was handled making some external pieces of hardware obsolete and causing many more pieces of software to have to be re-written to use the new OS libraries - this is no different to what happened between Win 98 and NT and later version of the Win OS

a lot of things changed when Mac OS went from being written in Pascal to being written in C (around the time of the shift from 7 to 8), certainly there were significant changes with the shift form OS9 to OSX, particularly in the way in which audio was handled making some external pieces of hardware obsolete and causing many more pieces of software to have to be re-written to use the new OS libraries - this is no different to what happened between Win 98 and NT and later version of the Win OS

I don't think the Win OS changes were as bad as Apple's, I mean I remember getting Cubase 3.0 (not SX3) to run under XP and you know how old that shit is, people can still use Propellerhead ReBirth RB-338 under Windows 8 and Mac users gave that up years ago, I even know a guy using Akai MESA on his Win 8 box with a SCSI card....what's funny is all that legacy shit came out on Mac first and yet you wouldn't have a snowflake's chance in hell getting that shit to run on a Mac now.

Why choose a mac, you ask? Well, I guess you wanna see the glazing eyes of the crowd in front of you, envying you just because all they can see is that half-eaten bright white apple shining through your equipment.

That said, i don't really see that much difference between mac and PC anymore. Well, in terms of compatibility, maybe.

I prefer mac - but i agree i feel like there isn't much of a difference between mac and PC except for the fact that i cant torrent to my hearts content on a PC without some sort of repercussions

Back