what's a power conditioner?

infradead

i've seen it mentioned in a few threads and got curious......

i searched a bit on the internet and now i'm confused...
are they different than surge protecters? do they do the same plus a bit extra....

this is most likely a stupid question but i wanna know....

are they worth getting to protect my gear in addition to a surge protecter?

:confused:

A power conditioner is a type of power strip + surge protector. I use a furman in my rack because I can plug all my gear in and turn it on w/the flip of one switch. That also makes it harder for me to leave everything on like I used to do sometimes. There are other power conditioners that output balanced power which are supposed to make your gear sound cleaner (voltage distrubution 60 on the positive and 60 on the negative instead of 110 and 0 like it is right now). These things cost $ 1g+

-Gene

gene-pool said:
A power conditioner is a type of power strip + surge protector. I use a furman in my rack because I can plug all my gear in and turn it on w/the flip of one switch. That also makes it harder for me to leave everything on like I used to do sometimes. There are other power conditioners that output balanced power which are supposed to make your gear sound cleaner (voltage distrubution 60 on the positive and 60 on the negative instead of 110 and 0 like it is right now). These things cost $ 1g+

-Gene

hmm, with uk power, isnt it 120 +, 120 neg? does this mean that equipment will sound better in one of the countries than the other?

that's a funny thing actually, because Eddie Van Halen (yeah, so kill me then, I used to read a lot of guitar magazines when I was a kid) always claimed that his guitar amps sounded better in Europe than in the States, so I dunno... maybe European power is more audiophile than American?:D

thanks a lot

pro sound and lighting has this power conditionerpower conditioner i was wondering if you all thought it is a good investment or a nesesary investmant... i only take my gear out very occasionally so i don't know if i need it but.... the peace of mind is probaly worth the $99(plus the gear protection)

everything else is rack mount which i don't have...

Funkmaster + mattu:
It's completely possible. That power in England "sounds" better.

What I know about power conditioners I read on audiophile forums so I'm going by memory... I'll see if I can find a site to break down exactly what they do.

-Gene

dont know about power conditioners, but i highly reccommend a voltage stabilizer if you live in SE Asia. One dead 1600 usd mixer and 3 month waiting for a replacement plus out of warranty region costs and a trip to singapore to pick it up in addition to sintgapores (albeit minimal) duties make not having one a very risky and potentially expensive decision. Yes, my hindsight is 20/20.

btw, most surge protectors suck. I had one hooked up, and it proved purely decorative.

gotta love tropical thunderstorms.........

ts

Back